Convection blower troubles on Avalon Newport Bay pellet insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

celebrimbor

Jan 24, 2021
Virginia, USA
Hello all,

I bought this pellet insert in 2012 and it's worked great since then. The past month or so I got the feeling that the blower wasn't blowing as hard as it used to, but then convinced myself I must be imagining it. Then last week it failed to come on at all, for several hours, resulting in a very hot hopper top, had to shut it down. Did a cleaning, restarted to try again, same result. SO I pulled out the blower, attached to AC power and it does run OK. Seems like it must be a controls or sensor issue?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to pinpoint the trouble? I would be interested in jumpering something while firing to see if that gets the blower running, however I do not know where the appropriate snap disc is.

It is worth mentioning that while I had the stove pulled away, I did find that the vacuum tube was cracked and splintered at the exhaust duct. I trimmed and re-attached. However, the convection blower still did not engage during my test yesterday.

Hope to get some insight from you all. Thanks in advance!
-Tim

Take a multimeter and check the voltage coming from the control board to the motor, on high it should be 115-125vac

I am test running once again. Once the temp switch activates, I am reading 119 V across the motor terminals, but is not rotating. It did rotate freely when I bench tested last week... That does seem to indicate that my snap disc is OK, at least.

Yep sound like it needs a motor.

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Just to follow up and finish this thread. Today I received the brand new OEM blower that I ordered, and installed it. Everything is now working fine again. I can adjust speed of the blower via the controls again, which I'd been unable to do for most of this winter...

Just threw me for a bit of a loop, since the old blower would actually crank when I hooked to test AC power cord. But it was not functional when connected normally in-place... And I could tell the bearings were not in great shape.

Reactions: Ssyko
Glad to hear it's all happy again and keeping you warm :)

Try keeping the bearings oiled regularly as in end of every season. Lots cheaper than buying a new one. Mine is over 15 years old and runs fine but I service the ENTIRE stove every spring and I mean every motor and every gearbox.