Converting old coal fireplace to wood burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

somethingdiferent

Dec 20, 2022
Ontario
Hey guys, I have a house in Southern Ontario, build sometime before 1880, and it has gorgeous coal fireplaces. Unfortunately none of them work. I have called around to all of the local fireplace companies and only one of them would come see it. He said that it will likely never burn coal or wood again and tried to sell me a gas insert which doesn't fit the space (it's the right height but the width is 2" too wide and would overlap the stone border, causing it to look strange).

0018.jpg
IMG_20221220_223100.jpg

The front of the opening at the steel is 18" wide and 25-1/2" tall at the center. The width where the cement meets the cast lintel is 14". The height of the cast lintel is 20-1/2" tall at the front and 16-1/2" tall where it meets the cement.

The chimney is brick with an 8", clay-type, square pipe in the center and is 2 storeys tall.

Is it possible to turn this into a usable wood fireplace without damaging the surround? If so, what do I have to do?

I think the chimney experts you called are right and you won't really be able to use those beautiful fireplaces for burning solid fuels. The firebox appears quite deteriorated and you most likely need the whole unit to be removed and rebuilt or replaced. It is almost certainly more cost effective to keep using them for aesthetics and install stand-alone solid fueled appliances.

Similar discussion, possibility of an electric coal basket and other methods of "burning" in an old fireplace without actual fire.

Reactions: somethingdiferent
Thanks guys, unfortunately I'm not interested in an electric fireplace as it just doesn't appeal to me. I'm more interested in spending the money on one of them and have it done right.

What would it take to burn solid fuel again? I need to know if I'm looking for a mason, a fireplace company, etc.

Thanks guys, unfortunately I'm not interested in an electric fireplace as it just doesn't appeal to me. I'm more interested in spending the money on one of them and have it done right.

What would it take to burn solid fuel again? I need to know if I'm looking for a mason, a fireplace company, etc.
You will need a very good mason who is very framiliar with fireplace design or a chimney sweep with lots of masonry experience. And it's not going to be cheap. I would assume it will need a new hearth slab to bring that up to code then a small Rumford firebox and smoke chamber built to fit and sized properly for the available flue volume. Probably a new liner after removing the clay. It will most likely start around $10000 and probably more.

Reactions: SpaceBus
You will need a very good mason who is very framiliar with fireplace design or a chimney sweep with lots of masonry experience. And it's not going to be cheap. I would assume it will need a new hearth slab to bring that up to code then a small Rumford firebox and smoke chamber built to fit and sized properly for the available flue volume. Probably a new liner after removing the clay. It will most likely start around $10000 and probably more.
Thank you very much! I was expecting the cost to be in this ballpark. I will get looking for this in the new year.

Would you consider a free standing stove?

I would agree. Rebuilding the hearth to specs, liner install and sitting a Jotul 602 or similar in front would look great and keep the asthetics. Beautiful fireplace. I'd do what I could to retain it.
Would you consider a free standing stove?

I think the questions that you need to ask are
Do I want to keep all, some or none of the coal insert?
If I want a stove can I fit an insulated line down? And if you can what needs to be done referencing your answer to the first question.

Yes I'd consider it. Would it be worth it if I had to redo the inside anyways?
As long as hearth can be modified to the correct clearance I doubt you'd have to redo the stove. Some of the innards may need removed to get the liner through. Will need to know chimney construction to determine what may needed there. I'm not familiar with how those old coal units are constructed. You may be able to remove the insides and retain the face plate for asthetics.

Reactions: EbS-P
I think the questions that you need to ask are
Do I want to keep all, some or none of the coal insert?
If I want a stove can I fit an insulated line down? And if you can what needs to be done referencing your answer to the first question.
I don't care about the inside much. I'm open to changing any/all of it. I'd like to keep the exterior as-is though.

As long as hearth can be modified to the correct clearance I doubt you'd have to redo the stove. Some of the innards may need removed to get the liner through. Will need to know chimney construction to determine what may needed there. I'm not familiar with how those old coal units are constructed. You may be able to remove the insides and retain the face plate for asthetics.
Thank you!

I think a small stove like a Jotul 602, Morso 2b, or the VC Aspen would look great with the existing ash lip and facade.

Yeah, would be expensive BUT if there is historical significance here with the structure which looks like there is it can be restored to be functional as a coal burner set up once again and meet code if enough $ are thrown at it. Sounds like you already know this though. Tough part with $ not a deal breaker is finding a restoration company to do it. Burning coal to me is awesome but thats just me. Alot of these fireplaces burned canal coal which was a step up from peat. Canal coal burned more so like wood but needed a grate to suspend it off the floor and some modification to bring most of the air from the bottom hence the cast iron enclosure in front. These set ups were confined mostly to homes in the cities but not always. Good luck with your project whatever you decide.