Cooking on/in a pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the crap they put in pellets I would burn inside if the stove for sure. Who know what they supplement with in the mixture. You can buy special pellets for pellet barbecue grills which would be OK.

Makes for burning corn even better argument.

In a place far, far away a long time ago, I had a Franklin fireplace with the swing in cooking grate. All winter I would drive the neighbors nuts with the smell of steaks or pork chops cooking on a wood fire. I wonder if it would be possible to create such a system to cook in a pellet stove! Put the stove on LOW, swing in the steaks, and have them ready in a few minutes.
Gotta be a way to do that!
That brings back memories. When I was a young kid our first wood burner was a Franklin and I can remember the cooking grate that swung in. My father would cook steak and the such every once in a while. Oh how good that stuff would taste on a wood flame in the middle of winter. After the first oil crisis in the early 70's we changed out that Franklin for an airtight stove to produce some heat.

With all the crap they put in pellets I would burn inside if the stove for sure. Who know what they supplement with in the mixture. You can buy special pellets for pellet barbecue grills which would be OK.

I tend to burn stove pellets (Somersets) in my Treager. Cheaper than the Treager special pellets by far....

Reactions: tjnamtiw
When I last cooked as you noticed was a long time ago and we drove up the pellet plant and got our pellets. We seen what we were burning.

Maybe try that for the turkey breast for Sunday

Turkey breast will have to wait until after the 20th of March and I bag a gobbler.

Turkey breast will have to wait until after the 20th of March and I bag a gobbler.
You could just raise your own, we did twenty last year. That way you wouldn't have to wait. :cool:

You could just raise your own, we did twenty last year. That way you wouldn't have to wait. :cool:

Nope.

I prefer the hunting experience. I 'raise' cattle, thats bad enough.

Nope.

I prefer the hunting experience. I 'raise' cattle, thats bad enough.

Hmmm, Your last trip for venison was unpleasant:(

I raise fruit trees, I have no use for those over sized vermin damaging any of my trees. I used to enjoy hunting with the bow, sometimes for weeks, the gun season was over in the first half hour, whoopee!

Hmmm, Your last trip for venison was unpleasant:(

Agreed but I was deathly sick and trying to be accomodating..... Most of my hunting trips are good memories.

I raise fruit trees, I have no use for those over sized vermin damaging any of my trees. I used to enjoy hunting with the bow, sometimes for weeks, the gun season was over in the first half hour, whoopee!

They can be an issue eating fruit trees or on your car bumper which is why I endorse killing them for meat. I'm a charter member of PETA P eople E ating T asty A nimals.

We have enough of them here (in Michigan), yotes too. I see where they are sniping around Wayne State, Dearborn Campus, to eradicate the overpopulation. 2 years ago we got crop damage tags for the Ann Arbor area, was like shooting fish in a barrel, not very sporty but necessary and we donated all the meat. Probably using recurves and x bows in Dearborn so as not to alarm the inhabitants and hunting in the evening or early morning.

More yote issues here. Those take a bit more skill because yotes are naturally wary.

I shoot a lot of squirrels here. My buddy makes a mean crockpot squirrel stew.

We have a few here to. I think they ate all the pheasants. Pheasant hunting is really cheap hunting cause you don't need any shells.
Ron

I just want to take a minute and shame all you folks for using oil based fuel of any sort to strike a fire. As a young boy I was always taught to make a fire from a single match. I'm a professional fire starter now a days and can actuallt start a fire from a fire piston I got on a camp outing. To each their own I suppose but just remember to always try to hone your fire building skills. Who knows when you may need it.

Making your own fire pistons is quite easy as well as making the char paper. We didn't 'strike' a fire with oil based fuel. We used a match, which be 'struck', to blow up the leaves!!! :) Even with a piston, the same explosion would have occurred but you would have been a lot closer. Our older generation only has to learn a lesson once while the younger generation keeps making the same mistakes ---- every 4 years, 2 years, and 6 years! The younger generation will pay for that ignorance while we will be looking down (or up) and shaking our heads.

Reactions: jeremygrimm
Baked potatoes in the P61 yesterday. Wrapped them in foil and just sat them out on the outer ledges of the stove inside, left and right and below the burn pot ( those with P series Harmans will know where I mean). It was a warm day of 38-41 deg outside, I just kept the stove in maintenance burn. In 1 hour 20 min the potatoes were perfectly done. Good sized Red Skinned potatoes, nice and moist, perfect. I know this is not roasting but they were good anyway. Veggie s are next. For just the two of us there is room for a veggie pack and a potato on each side of the burn pot, same as I cook on the grill in the summer for us..

Reactions: tjnamtiw and bogieb
Baked potatoes in the P61 yesterday. Wrapped them in foil and just sat them out on the outer ledges of the stove inside, left and right and below the burn pot ( those with P series Harmans will know where I mean). It was a warm day of 38-41 deg outside, I just kept the stove in maintenance burn. In 1 hour 20 min the potatoes were perfectly done. Good sized Red Skinned potatoes, nice and moist, perfect. I know this is not roasting but they were good anyway. Veggie s are next. For just the two of us there is room for a veggie pack and a potato on each side of the burn pot, same as I cook on the grill in the summer for us..

Thanks for letting us know the result. guess I need to buy a potato or two this weekend!

Reactions: alternativeheat
Thanks for letting us know the result. guess I need to buy a potato or two this weekend!
I thought they would still be hard, told the wife maybe we better finish up in the microwave so we could eat and she could get off to her practice session ( she sings).. When she opened up the packets she exclaimed how perfect they were cooked, and they were too. The stove came off maintenance a couple of times but barely FWIW, still a pretty low flame..

Reactions: bogieb
I thought they would still be hard, told the wife maybe we better finish up in the microwave so we could eat and she could get off to her practice session ( she sings).. When she opened up the packets she exclaimed how perfect they were cooked, and they were too. The stove came off maintenance a couple of times but barely FWIW, still a pretty low flame..

Perfect for my set-up, just flip it back to manual light (it is in room temp / auto right now), and I'll be on my way to a perfect baked spud :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.