Cool house, may need heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just dreaming- this was a farm, and it seems to only have wood heat. It's a bahhgin, but seein as it was built in the 1850's- there may be a few pitfalls. "charming" suits it, along with all that "charming" might imply. (has a detached pottery studio)

What do you think it would cost to install a full baseboard heat system?
Should I expect that it's uninsulated?

http://mhvizda.kwrealty.com/listing/mlsid/167/propertyid/4256904/
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.492111220866677.1073741828.286666048077863&type=1

44785_492112264199906_1068776345_n.jpg

26320_492113197533146_383586730_n.jpg

189527_492111910866608_1378700877_n.jpg

Wow! A Mansfield that just happens to come with a house.

Reactions: n3pro
May need more than just heat! Old houses can be money pits, especially, if like me, you aren't talented to do the work yourself. Wells, septic, roof etc are big dollar projects and around here, you can't just "fix" problems, you have to bring them to current code. Living in a house built in 1860's, there was little built to what is considered modern "code" and over the years with different previous owners, all kinds of things happened without permits. I LOVE my home but unless you REALLY know what to look for, it can cost you in the future.

Examples:
- Our septic tank was UNDER the addition that was built in the 1980's, with access riser complete with a 3qt aluminum pot in concrete.
- Our "gray" water from the washer goes into a PVC pipe that seems to go no where, not a proper leach field with laterals.
- Our roof was supposedly "new" but was slate still in some places with 2-3 layers of asphalt on top.
- Never thought much of it but when your doors/windows are all different sizes (even windows in the same room) it makes it expensive to replace-non standard sizes- or reframe to be standard. Fans/AC units aren't an option if they crank out either.

We were given all sorts of "certifications" when we bought our home but found out they were all fake. Even the house inspector was paid off and did time for the crap he pulled on unsuspecting buyers. The previous owner did so much shady stuff he lives in Sweden now.

Oh, and insulation, unless someone else did it forget it. We found some old papers and rag when we just torn the house apart for the Sandy repairs.

I can't resist the character of old homes either, surrounded by them here, but I was just so happy to be buying a house when I bought this place 10 years ago, I never stopped to think what info I was being presented was fraudulent and would cost me tens of thousands of dollars to fix.

This place does look well cared for but you just don't know what lurks under the floor (dirt like Joful and I have) or behind those plaster walls. Seems inexpensive for a big house on 2 acres as that would be almost $450k here but I'm not at all familiar with that area.

It's free to go look though ;)

What ramifications are there for not having central heat? i.e..is it hard to get a mortgage and can you get home owners insurance?

Looks better than mine built in 1985. And I want that Manny damnit! ;lol

Reactions: Hearth Mistress
Clarified- there is oil heat. No central would be an issue with water pipes freezing when I travel, plus the Mrs. Likes wood heat, but isn't a stove maintainer.

Basement is gravel. Stone foundation, no doubt.

I am a contractor. I would not buy a house prior to 1950 personally. Especially if it had plaster walls.

We talked and decided that we are way too in love with our current place to move. I mean- we raised 3 dogs here. If we moved, we would always think back to living in the tree house

Not to mention moving that kiln....<>

I'm going to offer an opposing view. An old home can be a wonderful place to live. Some are money pits sure, but many are not. In my house I have far more trouble undoing/fixing bad renovations from the 70s, than I do with original work from the 1700s!

I can tell you just from the photos that the entire interior of that house has been gut remodeled. Other than the floors nothing there is original. That makes me suspect its probably had extensive electrical, plumbing and probably insulation upgrades as well. Those hearths and chimneys look recent,as in the last 50 years or less.

For me, the extensive updating would actually be a turnoff and I would look for older and more original!

If you want more old house advice come check in with our group at the wavyglass.org forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.