Copper types

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nwomatt

Oct 12, 2012
northwestern ontario
Going copper shopping tomorrow. Pretty much got my list complete or at least started. When I get the copper pipe what type is better for a pressurized boiler system? Will be running a vigas with 1000gal storage in an out building and a bunch of other copper in the house. Or does it really matter? Should I just get the cheapest. Maybe my options will answer the question. Almost done spending money. Can't wait!!!

Going copper shopping tomorrow. Pretty much got my list complete or at least started. When I get the copper pipe what type is better for a pressurized boiler system? Will be running a vigas with 1000gal storage in an out building and a bunch of other copper in the house. Or does it really matter? Should I just get the cheapest. Maybe my options will answer the question. Almost done spending money. Can't wait!!!

Type M copper is fine for piping hydronic systems. Copper tube rarely wears out, if it does fail it is usually caused by improper sizing, installation error, or aggressive water conditions.

If you cut the tube with a tubing cutter always ream the burr. Size the tube so you flow at 2-4 FPS feet per second. Determine the flow rate you need to flow and use a pipe sizer chart to select the correct size tube. Check the quality of the fill water, ph and tds, low ph can cause pinholes and dezincfication in valves and fittings, high ph can coat the tube and lower heat transfer.

If you plan on soldering, sand the tube and fitting well and use flux sparingly. Flush the system after it is all piped. A hydronic cleaner is a wise first step. if nothing else TSP or dishwasher soap works also, be sure to flush it all out.

The Copper Tube Handbook is a great resource, a free download at www.copper.org under the plumbing section

I used 1-1/2" type L and it was expensive! Type M would save you some money. I still shudder when I think about the cost of fittings though.

My run to tank is 30' for the return 15' for the supply. In hindsight I would build my structure different and keep everything as short as possible.

gg

Status
Not open for further replies.