Corn building up in the burn pot in my bixby

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nessguy

Oct 2, 2016
Rutland Vermont
Ok, so I removed all of the corn from the hopper and replaced with pellets. As usual
when I fired up the stove the flame was great, after 3 hrs the pot over filled with pellets and the flame goes out.
I don't get it. I even replaced the gasket that goes under the burn plates as someone stated that might be the problem. Anyone else having this issue?
I am losing patience!

Do you have the model that has the switch for burning corn or pellets? You might have to adjust the fuel/air ratio switching from corn to pellets too maybe.kap

Do you have the model that has the switch for burning corn or pellets? You might have to adjust the fuel/air ratio switching from corn to pellets too maybe.kap

Yes, we have that switch, changed it from corn to pellets. Burning the pellets did the same thing as when burning corn, the burn pot fills up and goes out.

Hopefully some experienced Bixby owners will chime in to help you. kap

Try changing air -fuel settings. sounds like air blockage to me. You have had it long enough to know how to change fuel and air so look else where. When was the last time you cleaned that metal box the exh fan sits in? I heard of two instances that were close to your problem. One was that box I mentioned was just about plugged and after cleaning the whole system it worked fine. The other was a situation where they had a couple elbows in the system and when they connected them together they didn't get the inner pipes hooked together and the exh just got sucked into the cold air system so it recycled the exh. It wouldn't die all at once but eventually it choked itself.