Corner mantel for free standing woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Draughts15

Dec 23, 2020
Upper Midwest
I'm in the process of finishing the surround of my freestanding wood stove. I have double wall pipe and stove is about 8 inches from corner of stove to wall. I'm looking for a corner mantel, with two sides and a 90 degree angle. I've gone to several sites and would prefer a manufactured mantel but not finding much for this type of an install. Anyone have any experience or know a good site?

If all else fails, I may have to go the natural wood route or try my best and construct something.

By mantel, do you mean a shelf fitted into the corner or something that would have sides? The latter would have to be entirely non-combustible and even then might not qualify if this would be considered an alcove.

The main issue that will need to be honored by adding a mantel will be clearances to both the stovepipe and the stove.

Yes, I just need a shelf to sit above the finish. I went to our local wood stove retailer and they were of not much help. I'll need to look at the manual but just to be safe, would prefer something non combustible. I would need one side to measure around 55-1/4" and the other 52-5/8". Attached is our setup.

20221003_113615.jpg

As long the stove pipe clearances are honored, and it's not too deep this should be ok. Maybe 6" deep if made of wood? Maybe visit a local masonry and stone yard for concrete or stone slabs?

Last edited:
Reactions: Draughts15
Yes, I just need a shelf to sit above the finish. I went to our local wood stove retailer and they were of not much help. I'll need to look at the manual but just to be safe, would prefer something non combustible. I would need one side to measure around 55-1/4" and the other 52-5/8". Attached is our setup.

View attachment 299876
Are you wanting it in front or behind the pipe

There are also companies that make nice looking, non-combustible mantels depending on the look you want. Some are pretty beefy and may be out of proportion, but MagraHearth also makes boards that could work.

Reactions: Draughts15