could a fan be added to old baseboard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugar

Oct 12, 2008
East central KS
Thinking of designing a fan for baseboards to gain more usable heat(delta)
Or just call me crazy and rip out the old baseboards and try another approach. Small old house. Would have difficulty running air vents.

Baseboards have worked for years but have got to have boiler hot to get much heat off them.

We just sold an old (1860's) property, which my father purchased and renovated in 1971. It had been an enormous house, converted to apartments by some prior owner, and my father converted the first floor to office space (used by lawyers, realtors, engineering firm, over the years). Under what was the too-crowded kitchen, later the lobby, was a custom heat exchanger built by my father. It consisted of a large galvanized metal box (likely some large rectangular ductwork sections), in which he arranged a blower and several lengths of finned copper baseboard tubes. This hung between the joists in the basement ceiling, and exhausted thru a standard 4" x 10" register in the floor (or was it the toe-kick of a cabinet? can't remember now...). It worked very well for the 40 years we owned the joint, and is likely still working today. Might give you some ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.