Country was always cool! :-)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GM80owner

Feb 15, 2020
Vermont
Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this but a few bud lights into a Friday evening I'm unconcerned and thought I would try and have a little fun with you folks. I figure anyone who likes to heat with wood has a little country in them no matter where they live.

Lived in the country most of my life and spent the last 30 years raising a family with my lovely wife 5 miles down a dirt road no matter which road you take. In that time you get to know a lot of old timers and I was always fascinated with some of the country lore they would come up with in ways to predict things before they happened by watching nature. Example: You can tell it's going to rain when the ants are building up around their holes. Pretty well known that one.

So, I had the pleasure of getting to know one that had my respect from the first day I met him many years ago. Name was Dick Streeter,
dead now, but used to skid logs with a team of horses. Collected sap using the same team. Never drew a paycheck in his whole life. Never had a drivers license. Raised a family of 5 kids, one of his boys is my best friend. Weathered, tough, you know the type.

Country lore from Dick Streeter: "When the worms nests are high in the trees there's gonna be heavy snow for the Winter."

That's my offering. Yours?

Guess it never started. We have robins year-round here.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
You have your first frost 6 weeks after you hear cicadas in the daytime.

Black on a woolly-worm means cold and snow while brown is milder and wetter. The blacker wooley-worms are, the worse your winter will be.

When you wake up, it's time to start working.

Feed the animals before you feed yourself.

If the cows are laying in the field Storms a coming

If the hornets build there nest high in the tree...so the snow depth in winter will be.

When maples leaves turn over to show their backside a storm is brewing.

Wind from the north, fishing is poor. Wind from the south blows the hook out their mouth. Wind from the east fish bite the least, wind from the west fish bite the best.

Onion skins very thin, mild winter coming in. Onion skins thick and tough, coming winter cold and rough.

And many more that are on the edge of my noggin ....

Reactions: Ludlow
GM, nice to know a guy like that. Not many left. I think a lot of us here would like love experience a bit of that life style.

Spring is coming when the horses start shedding.

Don't wear chapstick when you brush them out (very, very wise ;) ).

Reactions: begreen and Ludlow
The winter of 2013-2014 was brutal here. I remember the fall of 2013 a coworker was saying he had never seen so many beech nuts so he was thinking something was going to happen.