Countryside 3500 Auger Motor Change Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KateRose

Feb 13, 2019
Dayton, OH
We recently had the auger motor on our countryside go out - it would turn without the auger in, but once we put it back the motor wasn’t strong enough anymore. We just got the replacement and have it all hooked up and now it won’t turn at all. Suggestions? The fan is blowing so it seems like the switch for the auger motor is functioning, but no turning. We’ve even gotten it to the ‘best operation’ temperature by feeding it manually.

We recently had the auger motor on our countryside go out - it would turn without the auger in, but once we put it back the motor wasn’t strong enough anymore. We just got the replacement and have it all hooked up and now it won’t turn at all. Suggestions? The fan is blowing so it seems like the switch for the auger motor is functioning, but no turning. We’ve even gotten it to the ‘best operation’ temperature by feeding it manually.

I hope you got this fixed already, if not 2 things hopper lid/ some times the little rod that goes down to the switch gets a little off and that will stop the auger. Reading what you said the fan is blowing? The one on the auger motor? If so then the motor is working. You have to make sure you get the allen lock nut all the way into the hole on the auger shaft does that make sense?

Motor is starting to spin then looks stuck. Fan is blowing. Auger nut screw was tightened.

Don’t see anything about vacuum tube or port in manual - more info?

Attachments

• F1C14A7A-34AB-4B4F-879A-776CA14ECB01.MOV
    17.2 MB · Views: 262
the vacuum switch will be inside the back of the stove. disc shaped with 2 wires and a hose hooked to it. take that hose off the switch a blow air through it. it should be clear. then try the stove if the auger does not run take the 2 wires off the vac switch and hook them together with a paper clip (don't touch them or let them touch the stove it is 120vac) if the motor is trying to run and can't it just might be the board is not giving it the voltage. my need some multimeter testing

Reactions: KateRose
the vacuum switch will be inside the back of the stove. disc shaped with 2 wires and a hose hooked to it. take that hose off the switch a blow air through it. it should be clear. then try the stove if the auger does not run take the 2 wires off the vac switch and hook them together with a paper clip (don't touch them or let them touch the stove it is 120vac) if the motor is trying to run and can't it just might be the board is not giving it the voltage. my need some multimeter testing

There is no vacuum switch on a Magnum 3500. When they say the fan is turning I am assuming they mean the fan on the gear motor. If they tightened the set screw on to the auger shaft and missed the hole the gear motor will never turn the auger as there is a hole in the auger shaft that the set screw goes down thru to seat against the gear motor shaft.

Ahhh ok my bad.

Motor is starting to spin then looks stuck. Fan is blowing. Auger nut screw was tightened.

Don’t see anything about vacuum tube or port in manual - more info?
I had a similar thing happen with my Harman. The motor would start to spin then stop. Last season it was due to a nail that had made it's way into the auger. This last time I had part of a good sized bolt in the hopper, and it jammed the slide plate, causing the auger to start to rotate, then stop. I would suggest checking those two areas. I cleaned my ash vac and used it to vacuum out the pellets out of the hopper. It worked great. I made a thread about it, and a couple people commented on having pieces of wood splinter jam up the augers.