Cracks fire box opening Englander 10-cpm repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DRemerson

Sep 4, 2021
VT, USA
I discovered 2 cracks this morning cleaning our main pellet stove. I believe it was caused by a leaking door gasket which I have replaced causing it to burn really hot.

How can I repair it?

I have a welder but I do not know if it's save to weld for the board. Any help is appreciated.
20210904_080117.jpg
20210904_080126.jpg
20210904_080150.jpg

I found an old topic with the same issue. Put a bandaid on it by drilling an 1/8th inch hole at the end of each crack and filled the crack with furnace cement. I do have a welder and that may be a future option.

20210904_131221.jpg 20210904_131225.jpg

If you need to weld it in the future, just remove the board and weld away

Reactions: vinny11950
Always place your ground clamp as close to the to be welded area as possible and remove the brain box as well. If it was me, I'd prep it (clean the rust off and bevel the crack and MIG weld it with shielding gas (75-25) at low amps so as not to raise the weld proud of the metal and reduce grinding. I weld on computer controlled machines all the time. Keeping the current path as direct as possible insures that no stray current impacts the solid state controls.

Just common low carbon hot rolled sheet anyway. Very easy to weld. As stated previously, drill a small hole at the head end of the cracks and weld to the hole and finish by filling in the drilled hole. 0.020 wire and the correct nozzle. Take longer to set up than weld it.