Cramer Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

oifla

Dec 2, 2015
South Central... Indiana
hello all,

our stove is called 'The Cramer Stove' and seems to work pretty well but i can't find any info on it. there's a lever in the back and i'm not sure what it does. also there's a pretty beat up grate but the stove seems to work much better without it (even if the ash piles up). anyone know anything about these? i think these were sold in this area of indiana but i don't know much else so any additional info would be appreciated. thanks!

o.

post a picture or two.

Likely the stove has similar operation to other stoves on the market, so reading up on how to operate them will likely point out the function of the lever.

Company is "inactive"

IMG_20211113_085653495.jpgIMG_20211113_085708805.jpg

Here's a couple of shots ot it: front and rear (so that you can see the lever).

There's a fan underneath, seems to work pretty well but I'm not sure what the lever does. I'm thinking it deflects more/less air from the fan to the stove but it's not exactly clear.

O.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont want to sound alarming here, but is the a metal tag on the back of that stove (ul listing w/ clearances) I'm pretty sure you need a hearth w/ rating for under that stove and it may be a little to close to the combustible wall.
If there is no tag on it then it would need to be installed using the nfpa guidelines for an unlisted stove

Reactions: Mt Bob
kenny,

yes, i agree about the distance to combustibles. there are, in fact, many things wrong with this setup but we just bought the place and are working our way through them. there is no tag unfortunately.

o.

kenny,

yes, i agree about the distance to combustibles. there are, in fact, many things wrong with this setup but we just bought the place and are working our way through them. there is no tag unfortunately.

o.
Please don't use that stove as it currently sits. It is a very dangerous install

I dont want to sound alarming here, but is the a metal tag on the back of that stove (ul listing w/ clearances) I'm pretty sure you need a hearth w/ rating for under that stove and it may be a little to close to the combustible wall.
If there is no tag on it then it would need to be installed using the nfpa guidelines for an unlisted stove
There's no hearth protection either. Just bare wood underneath. The chimney should be inspected as well.

Anyone have info on this stove? Thanks

O.
It's not a common one, maybe a local shop? The stove itself looks to be very basic. As an unlisted stove it needs to go by NFPA 211 requirements, if the insurance company will approve it at all.

Linoleum is combustible. It needs proper hearth insulation protection of R= 1.19 extending 8" beyond each side and 16" in front of the stove door. A basic way to do this would be to put down a sheet of metal and then make the hearth out of standard brick which can be held captive with base molding.

Guys, it's old linoleum (over concrete slab). I know it's not good as is but it will be OK! We're reworking things to make it safer.

O.
It's also to close to the wall

Ok, not to be rude but *i got it*, it's an unsafe install. OK team! ( In fact, it has already been modified)...

Let's move on to the actual questions here: does anyone know anything about this stove? Especially about the mystery handle.

Anyone have info on this stove? Thanks

O.
The Cramer stove's were made in Ellettsville, IN. in the 80's . They are more like a forced air wood furnace as the outer shell does not get very hot. they have two fans underneath. one for blowing hot air into duck work of a home or just distributing the air. the other blower (handle on back of stove) is for regulating air into firebox. there were 3 sizes. I believe the one in picture is middle size. These stoves are wood hogs but they will pump out the heat! I think Economy Fireplace in Ellettsville, IN. still carry some parts for these.

The Cramer stove's were made in Ellettsville, IN. in the 80's . They are more like a forced air wood furnace as the outer shell does not get very hot. they have two fans underneath. one for blowing hot air into duck work of a home or just distributing the air. the other blower (handle on back of stove) is for regulating air into firebox. there were 3 sizes. I believe the one in picture is middle size. These stoves are wood hogs but they will pump out the heat! I think Economy Fireplace in Ellettsville, IN. still carry some parts for these.
Do you know where one would find the manfacture recommendations for the Cramer Stove's?

It doesn't have a ul tag on it. UGH!!!
Then it's an unlisted stove. Some insurance companies allow that as long as it is installed to the unlisted stove requirements in nfpa 211. Some will not insure an unlisted stove at all.

Wow, find 5 things wrong with this installation.

I am needing to find the manfacture recommendations for installation.
Without a ul listing tag manufacturers specifications don't apply. It's an unlisted stove and needs to be installed to nfpa211 standards for unlisted stoves. Even then some insurance companies won't cover it