crazy exhaust fan issue...can anyone HELP!!!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excursion

Oct 12, 2014
North east
Hello all...so here's my issue...my j1000 insert exhaust fan took a dump at the end of last winter..I recently installed a new fan last week...as I bench tested it, I realized the fan rotation is going the wrong way....the old fan turned ccw and the new one turns cc....thinking I would need to get a new fan and dreading the labor I decided to first make some calls.
The first was to jamestown in canada...the expert said it should still work....my next call was an expert from an online pellet stove repair shop.....he said and I quote " it doesn't matter which direction the motor turns...either way it's going to draw from the front to the back...."...
The thing that gets me crazy is the fan is going in the opposite direction of the housing it's in...when I started the stove , it does vent out the exhaust but not with any ummfff...like you would think if the fan was going ccw...and now my glass is sooting up within the first hour of use......anyone have any thoughts.....help!!!!!!

I'm no expert but maybe try reversing the wires on the fan should reverse the direction of the fan but not sure

Thanks for replyING big papa...
unfortunately it's a one directional motor...non reversable....if it were only that simple....and I am having great difficulty finding a ccw replacement...

Where did you get this new fan I would try to order a new one.if it's non reversible then the must make one that spins in the opposite direction.

Some motors are reversible, if it is a standard shaded pole motor you may be able to take off the stationary part of the motor that the wires are connected to and flip it around (the side facing the fan is now facing outward) which should reverse the direction of the fan.

Reactions: Mr. Spock
Yup....thought of that one also..it's a sealed welded motor...I think my only hope it to locate an inline booster fan.....many have had great success with these...if you know where I can get one let me know..thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.