Crazy Vehicle conversions... (warning - pic heavy)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
In the honor of not hijacking a perfectly good thread elsewhere, I start this.

Been some interest in one of my old wood haulers and quite and interest in another members old jeep pick'em up, so I thought this could be fun.

I have an old jeep FC150. 1959. It is a miniature bulldozer with wheels. I am not sure that any other platform has had more factory versions or conversions. What kind of version/conversions drive you to want a new toy??

My FC150 to follow with a few of my favorite versions:
Mine:
100_1078.jpg

And a couple of my favorite versions:
jeep rescue.jpgDry Chemical Firetruck.jpg
Military versions (M677):
677's on trailer.jpg
A Narrow track along side a swamp buggy tour version:
FC Narrow.jpgThe FC Weasel: FC Weasel Front.jpg
The Snow and GO:
FC-170 Snow & Go.jpg

And a couple of "Just cuz you can" pics:
FC Rod.jpgFC-150dump.jpg

There is many, many versions of the FC150/170. Flatbeds. Dual rear tires. Fire trucks, trenchers, just about any darn thing you can think of.

They were a darn capable little platform (some of the 170's actually were a pretty large unit). For some reason, they hold a warm spot in my heart.

They were built heavy. Made to work. Heavy components (axles, springs,etc) and can take a beating.

So what is your platform or conversion that makes you think "gotta get me one of them"?

I like the one with the snow blower, it would be great for my driveway. The cab over design gives a good view for blowing/plowing snow.

I like the one with the snow blower, it would be great for my driveway. The cab over design gives a good view for blowing/plowing snow.

They make a fantastic snow plow because of visibility. Throw a bunch of weight in the back and start pushing.

I have really thought long and hard about a blower conversion for mine, but the fact is - we don't get the snow to warrant it anymore.

Reactions: ScotO
How is the turning radius? Looks like it would be farely small. We have a small Dodge truck that we plow with, but it has a huge turning radius.

How is the turning radius? Looks like it would be farely small. We have a small Dodge truck that we plow with, but it has a huge turning radius.
About the same as my lawn mower.;lol

Sweet lil' truck.

I'm diggin the one with the caterpiller traction....I love me some tracks...I dont see one with flamethrower/cotton candy machine?

I like the old FC, and they sure were set up to do all kinds of stuff, but what about the old Dodge Power wagon. They were a heavier truck than the FC and were converted into all kinds of stuff too.
images
images
images
images

images
images
images
images

Here's a nice little log hauler.
images
images
images
images

I'm sure I could find more. These were just the first couple pages from google. Another truck that did all kinds of stuff from the 40s through the late 60s.

I don't have one though, but one is on my wish list.

Did you guys see the newer concept version of the Jeep FC?
It sure stirred up some drama on another board I go to.

I saw that somewhere. That is pretty cool. I just wonder of it would be built as a utility vehicle or as a fun toy. As the first, it would be something domestic that could compete with the Japanese 4x4 forward control trucks.

The old power wagons also hold a warm spot in my heart. Almost was the owner of an M37.

And Delta - here ya go: (I cheated, this is actually a FJ6 jeep)
Drivers front.jpgPassenger side.jpg

Probably not in line what you guys are thinking.....but pretty cool just the same

Reactions: Jags
I know where there is one of those FC150 sitting on the side of the driveway. they are pretty cool did not know they were used in so many variations. if I remember correctly this one is a pick up style.

did not know they were used in so many variations.

I think that is part of the intrigue for me. A little platform that has been asked to do so many big jobs. And it can do it. They are really built like a tank.

Even the Jeeps of that time were set up for all kinds of jobs.
images
images
images
images

This one really cool!
images
images

Reactions: Beer Belly and Jags
I LOVE THE OLD JEEPS!! NOTHING LIKE THEM!!

Ok, while it may not look like much yet, this is my 1949 Willys Wagon 4x4-63 I've been working on. Gave up on it around 5 years ago due to our total house overhaul/addition project. It's been sitting patiently in the barn, awaiting it's turn.....

I removed, fabricated and replaced the firewall, floorpans, cab mounts, rocker mounts, rear tailgate framework and lower tailgate, etc.....
Freshened up and installed a 1968 Ford 302 out of an old Bronco, mated to the original T-90 transmission with a cable clutch.
Did a spring-over modification and plan on a front shackle reversal mod before I put it on the road. Changed the pitch of the front pinion to accomodate the change in pitch of the front driveshaft (both front and rear driveshafts are out of the old bronco)
I think I'm going to look for a Cummins 4BT or 6BT to install so I can run biodiesel in it, and I also have a mid 70's cast iron toploader four speed with overdrive 4th gear and a brand new toploader-to-Dana 18/20 trans adapter kit......that's going to go in it also.

Hoping to start back up on it this coming fall. Should have it done by early summer 2014 if all goes to plan. But we know how that goes..

my '49 wagon before restoration.jpg my '49 wagon front floor and firewall before removal.jpg my '49 wagon frame (sandblasted, painted, and ready for the body).jpg '49 wagon firewall 2.jpg '49 wagon firewall and trans tunnel.jpg custom fabricated inner and outer rockers installed.jpg '49 Willys wagon speedometer.jpg restored 1948 and 1949  Willys Overland Special Heaters.jpg body back on frame and motor installed.jpg

When I was a teenager my father owned a 1978 or 1979 J10 Pickup. Second picture or the one without the plow frame. They were rated for half ton, but were really a heavy half. Good work horses.

The other picture is of the 1986 J-20 I use to own and sold it. The J-20 were rated for 3/4 ton but were really capable of more than that. I needed something that could handle more kids so I went to an extended cab after this truck. I have heard there was a J-30 which were the 1 ton. But have never seen one so do not know if I believe it.

I can not believe Chrysler has not come out with a new Jeep pickup. There have been several concepts. Third picture. The only type that would work for me though is the fourth picture. Which is a new version of the AEV brute double cab. If Jeep ever went into production with something like this I might buy one when it was a few years old and I might be able to afford it. ;lol These AEV brute double cabs will set you back over 50,000. Rediculous.

Attachments

• DSCF0468.JPG
    DSCF0468.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 413
  • dadsjeep.jpg
    dadsjeep.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 340
  • newjeepconcept.jpg
    newjeepconcept.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 3,341
  • aevbrutedoublecab.jpg
    aevbrutedoublecab.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 21,489
Reminds me of the Mercedes Benz Unimog.
If I could figure out images I would throw in some pics.

images
images
images
images
There were/are many,many versions of the Unimog. The Dokas are the crew cabs. Originally built for farm work because the germans were not allowed to have military vehicles at that time. These trucks could do the work of a tractor right in the field and then be used to haul goods to market. PTOs in front and rear were common and I believe middle, some had three way dump beds, cranes, winches, plows, etc. etc. The attachments that could be had for these trucks were awesome. Todays trucks are even more capable. I almost bought an older one quite a few years back, but decided to go with something that was smaller in size to get through small roads in the woods. That was when I bought my 1972 Pinzgauer 710M.

images
This one is not the one I had but the same thing. Awesome off road capabilities. Several versions. A 712 has three axles and six wheel drive. All of these trucks, Unimogs and Pinzgauers have locking differential in the axles to give true four wheel drive or six wheel drive if three axles. Great for work, not very fast though. The Unimogs can have the fast axles added.

I miss my Pinz sometimes, but the Tundra Cremax is a lot friendlier on the road and so much more comfortable. Thought I would help you out Dune.

Yeah - go figure...I like Unimogs too.;lol

Scotty - sweet jeep. That thing with a 4BT and overdrive stick would be the bees knees. I like what you have done to the firewall, et all. (I understand just how much work is involved with that type of thing).

Scotty, My best friend drove a '59 wagon in high school. His had the Super Hurricane 6 cylinder. It would make all of 60 mph going downhill with a tail wind and that inline 6 would be screaming! We took our dates to the senior prom in it. This was back in '88 so it was only 29 years old then. Unfortunately, that truck has been gone for a few years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.