Cree 9.5 W LED A19, $10 at Home Depot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Yeah, I got a bunch of those for $7 bucks at Home Despot (PECO subsidy in my area). I like em a lot, but they do 'buzz' very slightly. :confused:

Funny, I noticed the same thing when taking the dog outside to pee last night. The good news is that it allows you to read the writing on the top of the bulb so you can be reminded of how few watts it is using.

I bought a 3-pack of 60 watt equivalent Feit A-19 LED bulbs at costco this last weekend. It was only like 8 bucks for all three! No dark spot on top, no writing on top, and a very light buzz that seems to have gone away. They are not as high quality, I expect, but so cheap and look much more like regular light bulbs. No rubber coating either.

Last edited:
I pick up some last week as well. I usually only get a few at a time becuase they are so expensive. The CFL are cheaper but seem to burn out quickly.
The real savings came when I replaced the 35 watt halogens with 3 watt LED's.

I've bought several over the past six months, replacing some CFL's and places where I needed the instant light. I can't fault the price, or the light color, if it lasts a year, it pays for itself. I haven't heard any buzzing, although I have with other LED's and CFL's. There are now 75W equivalent Cree's and I put one of those in my garage, in this recent weather, it's been so much better than a CFL ever would be. I put some outside to see if it is true they attract less insects, and they do seem better than CFL's, and obviously much better than incandescents. I have a house in the woods, and outside lights with incandescent bulbs became a fire hazard with the accumulation of dead insects in the housings after just a few months.

TE

Funny, I noticed the same thing when taking the dog outside to pee last night. The good news is that it allows you to read the writing on the top of the bulb so you can be reminded of how few watts it is using.

I bought a 3-pack of 60 watt equivalent Feit A-19 LED bulbs at costco this last weekend. It was only like 8 bucks for all three! No dark spot on top, no writing on top, and a very light buzz that seems to have gone away. They are not as high quality, I expect, but so cheap and look much more like regular light bulbs. No rubber coating either.

As a follow up, the buzz has disappeared after breaking in the Feit LEDs. It was noticable but slight and now is gone. Oh and to correct my last post I have the 500 lumen 7.5 watt version which I would call a 40 watt equivalent.

Turns out the black dot doesn't bother me. Isn't full brightness is nice. Seem brighter than the 60-w equiv. cfls they replaced.

Damn expensive though, when doing in bulk.

Yeah, I got a bunch of those for $7 bucks at Home Despot (PECO subsidy in my area). I like em a lot, but they do 'buzz' very slightly. :confused:

How do you get the PECO subsidy?
I live in Pottstown and would like to take advantage of it.

Pottstown HD was selling Cree's for $7.99 a few weeks ago.

How do you get the PECO subsidy?
I live in Pottstown and would like to take advantage of it.

It's an instant rebate applied at the register. JUst go to a store in the right area.

I continue to populate my house with these little HD Cree gems. My current problem is a backlog of CFL bulbs in my spare stock and not a lack of new places to put the LED bulbs. I've retrofit a floor standing halogen lamp with two, and retrofit a candelabra based ceiling fan with two, in addition to swapping out one of my dusk to dawn dock lights. I keep looking at other fixtures around the house and devising ways to upgrade them with these bulbs. I think the 2x2 U-tube fluorescent fixture in the kitchen may be the next recipient, if I can get over the up front cost.

I just did the whole house, except for the basement, with these beauties. I don't even want to know how much it cost. I'm not sure exactly why either. Bragging rights? (But it could be considered stupid since I had cfls). They are brighter and I like the instant full light at startup, anyway.

I only bought 9 and I thought I was a nutball. <>

Yeah, I'm a nut. I think it might be that seasonal affective thing. Maybe spending money helps me feel better. It's not working well enough though. I think I need a boiler. Pellet or wood? How about solar panels on the roof-that'd cost a few bucks even with incentives. :)

Yeah, I'm a nut. I think it might be that seasonal affective thing. Maybe spending money helps me feel better. It's not working well enough though. I think I need a boiler. Pellet or wood? How about solar panels on the roof-that'd cost a few bucks even with incentives. :)

This is a rough time of year for sure. Easy to buy stuff. My new tv antenna should arrive today.

. I've retrofit a floor standing halogen lamp with two
I'm curious to know how you did this. Pics? I've thought about doing it, I can't find nice simple plain standing lamps, I have one remaining 250W halogen lamp that I'd really like to get rid of, but I can't find a suitable looking replacement, so I've been tempted to put a DIY bulb base on the existing lamp. I'd like to mount the bulb sideways so it doesn't stick up too far, but can't see a tidy way to do it.

TE

I just did the whole house, except for the basement, with these beauties. I don't even want to know how much it cost. I'm not sure exactly why either. Bragging rights? (But it could be considered stupid since I had cfls). They are brighter and I like the instant full light at start up, anyway.
I did the same thing with CFL's when they first came out. And I paid a bunch for them too... Back in the 80's I'm talking around $20 per bulb and some are still going today! And then the yearly rebates came around and better CFL's too so I have a good stock of them. I'll wait on the change over to LED's for now as there isn't a big difference in power consumed over CFL IMO.

I did the same thing with CFL's when they first came out. And I paid a bunch for them too... Back in the 80's I'm talking around $20 per bulb and some are still going today! And then the yearly rebates came around and better CFL's too so I have a good stock of them. I'll wait on the change over to LED's for now as there isn't a big difference in power consumed over CFL IMO.

It's not about saving money, it's the vastly superior performance of led wrt warm up time and cold weather output.

It's not about saving money, it's the vastly superior performance of led wrt warm up time and cold weather output.
The only CFL's that Have a noticeable dimness at first are the can lights in my kitchen area but they warm up fast enough. I'll eventually make the switch to LEDs and by time I do they should be cheaper and better than now. I'm sure they've made big improvements already.

Reactions: Highbeam
Looks like LED strip lighting for like kitchen under cabinets vs. the florescent tubes may be a better deal at this point. So am looking into replacing my t5 lighting with the LED strips. I had waited to replace my incandescent bulbs with cfl's until the prices dropped to about $5 or so and then they dropped even more right after I started replacing them. I'd get some LED bulbs now for fixtures I want dimming ability but I suspect in about a year the prices are really going to drop.

As far as warm up for cfl's, seems most noticeable in my outside lights, especially the floods.

The bulbs you linked are $7.97 at my local HD and the 40watt equivalent are under $5 a bulb.

When they were on sale last year for under $5 a bulb I bought 60 and replaced all of the bulbs in my house and my parents house. I then went back for another 30 and sent them to my sister for her house.

Most of my bulbs are on dimmers so I set them where I want without being too bright especially in fixtures with more than 1 bulb.

I have many in enclosed fixtures and they are running 25degrees+ less than the cfl bulbs were. So I'm not that worried about them being enclosed.

Reactions: Highbeam
LED's truly have greatly improved. I got 40w equivalent A-19, 450 lumens, 6.5w, from EarthLED at $5 each in carton of 10. Local power company provided a $3/bulb rebate, net $2 bulb. SunSun brand, dimmable, very nice. Nearly all bulbs in the house now are LED.

Status
Not open for further replies.