Crimp and Bead For Flue Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Frankdozer

Burning Hunk
Aug 31, 2016
Maine
Here is a picture of a crimp and bead machine used in my sheet metal shop to make the small end of the flue pipe. Does an nice job.

Attachments

• 23B0FF23-053B-4ADF-9A1B-8A81B3AD74CD.jpeg
    23B0FF23-053B-4ADF-9A1B-8A81B3AD74CD.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 223
Reactions: Todd67
I worked in a sheetmetal shop for a time that still was fully equipped for fabrication around years 1890-1950s (this would have been in the late 80s). Rollers, crimpers, beads, drawers of hand tools, a sheetmetal "snips" that had handles 3ft long, smudge pots for lead solder joints and for roofing. I used a lot of it for day to day things that just made things quicker and better than the usual auto lock formers and pittsburg machines could produce. Being forced to do things by hand sure made using automatic tools easier when we finally did get hold of them. Now I work mostly away from processing eq, and load instructions remotely - with automatic machines that can "process" at a very fast clip.

Last edited:
I took early retirement in 2009 and closed my shop. I originally started with all hand tools in 1971 and by the time I retired I was all automated. I sold off most of my equipment but held onto the original tools I started with. This crimp and bead machine being one I kept along with a 42” stomp shear, finger brake, 8’ 24 gauge brake, Pittsburg machine, lockformer, and a few others.
I still love making things of metal.

All with hand tools and a 2x4 for a press brake.
I can redirect heat to the upstairs, downstairs, or both, or refer to wood heat alone.

1.jpg

Nice looking crimp and bead machine.