Crumbling hearth salvageable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

1945Fire

Mar 10, 2021
Lynnwood, WA
Apologies for the long post, but there is a lot going on with this old fireplace.

Seeking honest guidance if this is a DIY fix or a project to bid out. I purchased a 1945 bungalow with decades of previous DIY fixes. The working wood burning fireplace is a great example. It was originally a heatilator that has been converted to a steel firebox by a previous owner. They sealed the side vents, cut out the center pipe, and made modifications to the chimney. Inspector and chimney sweep said it is olddd but usable and has worked fine for infrequent fires since I purchased it.

That is not the current problem, however. Before launching in, I will share that the house foundation had settled and caused separation between the hearth and the fireplace. The foundation has been professionally stabilized since the purchase.

I am updating the fireplace façade and started to remove the brick hearth with the intention to fill with concrete for an updated look. The concrete pad under the old brick is crumbling and several holes appeared while removing the bricks. Through the holes I can see the ground and vapor barrier (I have a pier and post foundation). There is a triangular steel frame running through the center of the hearth and a rusty steel pipe running from the point of the triangle to the footing. There is also a separation gap between the crumbling concrete hearth slab and the wooden subfloor on the sides.

Questions: Can I knock out the old concrete around the steel frane and pour a new hearth? Or do I have to add support to the hearth underneath?

What would be the best method to rebuild the hearth?

Photos attached. I am sure they will give you a kick! Thanks in advance!

49F65669-5B68-4343-A1E6-FA83F1ED70BD.jpeg 69ACABF9-E42A-4030-8E83-ECF0155264CF.jpeg A98499E4-ABC8-4CF2-BA15-98CE5D41BF44.jpeg 4A233903-3284-4F01-9886-F4B95F0F7026.jpeg 94D03580-D03A-4877-B2FC-ED631AA5E21B.jpeg

Apologies for the long post, but there is a lot going on with this old fireplace.

Seeking honest guidance if this is a DIY fix or a project to bid out. I purchased a 1945 bungalow with decades of previous DIY fixes. The working wood burning fireplace is a great example. It was originally a heatilator that has been converted to a steel firebox by a previous owner. They sealed the side vents, cut out the center pipe, and made modifications to the chimney. Inspector and chimney sweep said it is olddd but usable and has worked fine for infrequent fires since I purchased it.

That is not the current problem, however. Before launching in, I will share that the house foundation had settled and caused separation between the hearth and the fireplace. The foundation has been professionally stabilized since the purchase.

I am updating the fireplace façade and started to remove the brick hearth with the intention to fill with concrete for an updated look. The concrete pad under the old brick is crumbling and several holes appeared while removing the bricks. Through the holes I can see the ground and vapor barrier (I have a pier and post foundation). There is a triangular steel frame running through the center of the hearth and a rusty steel pipe running from the point of the triangle to the footing. There is also a separation gap between the crumbling concrete hearth slab and the wooden subfloor on the sides.

Questions: Can I knock out the old concrete around the steel frane and pour a new hearth? Or do I have to add support to the hearth underneath?

What would be the best method to rebuild the hearth?

Photos attached. I am sure they will give you a kick! Thanks in advance!

View attachment 276182 View attachment 276183 View attachment 276184 View attachment 276185 View attachment 276186
That fireplace is absolutely not useable with that tube cut out. As far as the hearth extension I would need to see pics from below

Unless that tube is blocked off and all openings sealed, that’s a problem...And yea that hearth is beat up, what’s under there? Looks like open air..

Is there nothing tying in the firebox bottom with the hearth? If so, that is where to start. They are supposed to be one unit. Does the fireplace have a foundation underneath that goes to the ground?