Cubex Canadian Hardwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bayfeet

Jan 12, 2009
Central Mass
Any reviews on these. They have been in dry storage for about 3 years red & white bags. Manufactured by Lauzon

They are the offcuts of a large flooring company in Quebec Canada
By far one of the best hardwood pellets there are .
After trying an assortment of pellets over the last 20 years
I always come back to Cubix and are the only pellets I now burn
As long as your bags have been kept dry they should be as good as
the day they were made

Reactions: wolfmajor
My stoves love Cubex, but they are pricey around here. If I see them on CL though, I will go for them if someone hasn't beaten me to it.

After using LaCrete and New England pellets for a few years in my Roma insert, I've switched to Cubex on the advice of a local pellet tech. He has the same stove I have and I was getting frustrated with the crappy burn, constant cleaning, blackened glass, little to no heat output in the last couple of seasons (in NH). I love these pellets, BUT....I can only find them from one local source and have to pick them up myself. I'm not physically able to do this, so I am looking for a comparable pellet that I might find more readily available at retailers that offer delivery and stacking. What are your thoughts on another pellet with the same quality as the Cubex? Thanks in advance.

Funny timing to bring this back to the top. I'm trying to clear out some of my old stock of CL/FBM and just get some-and-try-it finds.

I bought 12 bags of Cubex off CL early spring of last year (I don't know what their "born on" date was, but assume it is 2021). I've been running it in my P43 with the cold snap we went thru. Yesterday I finally thought to take the temperature of the air coming out of the exchange pipes. This is not scientific, but I conduct the tests the same way every time. I do NOT clean my stove before recording and the last time the P43 was cleaned, was two weeks ago.

The "test" is to run the stove for 20 minutes, at a feed rate of 3 and with an oven thermometer placed in the air stream, braced against the top of the door and the overhanging lip of the top of the stove. This is the second hottest pellet that I have taken the temperature at a temp of 315* (La Cretes came in at 300*). What was the hottest, you ask? Lauzon Fusion Blend at 325*

Cubex HW temp on Thermometer 315.jpg

Reactions: wolfmajor
Here are my findings

Cubex Hardwood Pellets purchased through Leeway Ace Hardware
Purchased 1/6/23
Color lite brown, semi buff exterior
Pellet size between 5.95 - 24.93
Time to burn = 16hr, 30min
Average Glass Temperature (measured at center) = 414.1 °F
Ash weight (fully brushed out stove and burn pot) = 2.1oz
Ash description = granular to powder.
Glass cleanliness = relatively clean only 30% lite brown discoloration
Smell = Pine scent

Smell = Pine scent
really mine smells more like Oak
after it has been dried.
I have been using them for years and my findings are
consistent with yours.
Only I get 24 to 30 hours from a 40-pound bag
depending on how cold it is

Here are my findings

Cubex Hardwood Pellets purchased through Leeway Ace Hardware
Purchased 1/6/23
Color lite brown, semi buff exterior
Pellet size between 5.95 - 24.93
Time to burn = 16hr, 30min
Average Glass Temperature (measured at center) = 414.1 °F
Ash weight (fully brushed out stove and burn pot) = 2.1oz
Ash description = granular to powder.
Glass cleanliness = relatively clean only 30% lite brown discoloration
Smell = Pine scent

Pine scent? Surprising since those are hardwood

Cubex burns hot !! :ZZZ room temp mode, burn rate is 3. Temp is taken in the middle vent hole. I don't think Cubex burn as clean as La Crete, a bit brownish stain the upper corner of the glass window after 24 hours.

cubex temp.jpg

Reactions: bogieb