Cumberland 3700 to 3800

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott T.

Jan 12, 2013
Michigan
I have a Cumberland 3700 that is manual start & it looks like if I add the "torch" electric igniter I should be able to make it an automatic electric start 3800. The controllers I believe are the same & my circuit board has connections for the electric igniter torch starter. It looks like I can reset the controller & choose electric ignite. Has anyone done the conversion or have comments? Thank you for your time! Scott

You will also need the air pump. The "torch" is hollow and hooks to an air pump by silicone tube which jets hot air into the pellets (or corn).
Igniter part # 730032
Air pump #730072

There is also an updated bracket for the igniter that allow adjustment so it fits perfectly into the burn pot. Don't have the p/n in front of me.

This is an off topic question but I just got the 3800 this fall and was wondering how long your glass stays clean?? I know that it is affected by operating range and pellets but just curious on upper 2's to mid 3's??

You will also need the air pump. The "torch" is hollow and hooks to an air pump by silicone tube which jets hot air into the pellets (or corn).
Igniter part # 730032
Air pump #730072

There is also an updated bracket for the igniter that allow adjustment so it fits perfectly into the burn pot. Don't have the p/n in front of me.
Thank you so much for the info on the additional parts I'll need. Appreciate you taking the time to post! Thanks again, Scott

This is an off topic question but I just got the 3800 this fall and was wondering how long your glass stays clean?? I know that it is affected by operating range and pellets but just curious on upper 2's to mid 3's??
I would clean the glass on my Cumberland 3700 & after 6-8 hours it would start to soot up. My new Harman XXV will dirty up the glass after cleaning a few minutes after an auto start. I believe my pellets (Magic Spark) are mostly to blame. I'll have to try & light the stove manually & see if the glass stays cleaner.

I concur on the 6-8 hours for glass getting dirty. The air wash keeps my glass about half clean so I can still see the flame, though I just put a new door gasket on this year and adjusted by door latch. If it gets so dirty you can't see the flame something needs to change, gasket, pellets, frequency of cleaning the burn pot (most important thing on a Cumberland), etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.