Cumberland Pellet Stove Problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mxbuddy

Apr 28, 2017
West Wisconsin
Hello, new to the pellet stove world as my wife and I picked up a Cumberland MF3500 off craigslist last fall and used through this last heating season. The stove worked great and we put about 2 1/2 tons through it, but we're coming across problems towards the end of the season. Ive done a good cleaning on the stove, running a brush through the pipes and flue, and vacuuming and scraping out all deposits i can get at inside the stove. Now the stove will light, but the blower fan will not kick on. When we first got the stove occasionally the stove would take 15 minutes for the blower to kick in while sometimes it only took 5 minutes. Now, i can run the stove 30 minutes and it won't recognize that there is a proof of fire. I know its got a hot enough temperature as i can feel the heat radiating through the sides of the stove while it has a healthy burning flame, but it just won't kick on. Also, after 10 minutes of not recognizing it has a fire, it will flash "no proof of fire" on the display, so you have to start the process all over again. After digging into it further today to make sure i cleaned it well enough and didn't mess something up, I found a orange/black striped wire laying in the bottom of the stove. It has a spade end on it so i know it plugs into something and the other end is plugged into a "switch, rollout limit" on the back of the exhaust manifold. The electrical diagram in the manual doesn't list any orange/black wires. I assume the problem is switch somewhere is not sensing the air temp inside the stove so it can't recognize thats there is a hot enough fire, to kick on the circulating blower. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance. I'm a do-it-yourselfer kind of guy so just trying to fix it myself before I have to find a technician to service it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum . If you do not have the manuals for your stove
they are here .http://www.cumberlandstoveworks.com/CustomerSupport
The orange wire seems to be the wire from the control panel ( pof connector) to the
proof of fire switch (pof)
I do not know your stove hopefully some one who does will chime in

There may be some passages that the exhaust vents past the heat exchanger that you missed. Some stoves have those with plugs or plates that need to be removed for access, not sure on yours just putting it out there as a possibility.

Thanks for the help so far. Im trying to locate the POF switch on this stove and the manual doesn't have any switches labeled. Im assuming the switch labeled #4 switch, snap disc thats mounted on the combustion blower is the POF switch? I removed both spade connectors off of this switch and made sure they were clean and seated properly. Also, #3 switch, rollout limit is where the orange/black wire is coming from, but i have no idea where it connects on the other end. I haven't been able to locate another spade thats missing a connection. Also, the rollout limit has another connection with nothing on it.
IMG_3302.JPG