gfirkus Posted By gfirkus, Aug 8, 2016 at 8:36 PM

1. gfirkus

gfirkus
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 28, 2014
    Loc:
    central wisconsin
    .Here are some pics of my custom 1400 gallon boiler. It was made to fit in the back of my 14'x28' boiler room. It is 6' long and 77" dia before insulation. It is all set and insulated, just waiting to start the piping and electrical IMG_0907.JPG IMG_0866.JPG IMG_0883.JPG IMG_0887.JPG IMG_0894.JPG IMG_0898.JPG IMG_0905.JPG soon. I'm hoping to get a fire in it by end of sept.

webfish likes this.
  2. hondaracer2oo4

hondaracer2oo4
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 18, 2012
    Loc:
    Canterbury NH
    Looks great. Simple firebox inside of a water jacket?

3. sportbikerider78

sportbikerider78
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2014
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Holy cow! How do you insure that house with that inside an attached garage?

4. velvetfoot

velvetfoot
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2005
    Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Awesome!

5. TCaldwell

TCaldwell
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2007
    Loc:
    860-868-9014 h 203 948 0864 c nw corner ct.
    is this a diy or is gary and his son in law doing the install?

6. gfirkus

gfirkus
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 28, 2014
    Loc:
    central wisconsin
    Yes to the first ?. The fire box is 3' deep, I guess I never measured the width or height. Its quite large. There is a 6" pipe out the fire box that goes to the back of the boiler and then goes to 2 passes of 9- 2" pipes. My ins. co. said that it is fine as long as --1. It is a secondary heat source. 2. Proper clearances are held. 3. It is installed properly. It's a diy, but I'm having a plumber make all the connections for me. This year Gary incorporated an electronic control box into the system to control the draft inducer and doors. It seems pretty slick. The reasons for this particular boiler -- I wanted a pressurized boiler with storage, It's very simple, I haven't heard any bad comments or reviews about this system, Gary has been building these since 1982 I believe.

7. TCaldwell

TCaldwell
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2007
    Loc:
    I believe this is a gasifier, with a insulated secondary burn chamber behind the primary chamber? how about a pic of the new control box.

8. Karl_northwind

Karl_northwind
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 13, 2012
    Loc:
    Central Wi.
    Check wisconsin code. it is very clear about no solid fuel burners in garage spaces. Believe me, I would if it was safe and legal.
    Wi SPS 323.045 (B): Solid-Fuel-Burning appliances may not be installed in a garage unless listed for that application.

Unless you turn that space into "not a garage" should you ever have an "incident" you can expect an issue with the insurance co. if they find out it's installed in a non-code compliant manner, expect them to not be your friend. I'll bet there is small print in the solid fuel rider on your policy that if it's installed not per local codes you will be SOL. I don't mean to come down on you too hard, but they will look for any way out. I had a family member go thru that BS a couple years ago. Don't chance it.

9. gfirkus

gfirkus
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 28, 2014
    Loc:
    central wisconsin
    Thanks for the info Karl. I'll have to look into it. I suppose I misinterpreted the "local codes" part. I don't remember you mentioning this last year when I met with you about possibly purchasing a GARN to fit in that space.

10. Vinced

Vinced
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 17, 2008
    Loc:
    central WI
    I also live in Central Wisconsin and have an outdoor wood boiler and a free standing Lopi wood stove in my house. My insurance said no way to a wood furnace or boiler in the house or my 30'x40' separate shop. They said the outdoor wood boiler had to be 40ft from any building. My Lopi free standing wood stove in my house has been inspected with pictures taken by the insurance company about every 5 years. They say has long has its installed to code and not my primary source of heat it is alright, but they watch it closely. I have Country financial for my insurance company.

hobbyheater likes this.
  11. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    The garage thing isn't a local code, it's the national fire code. The real question is "what's a garage"? That just looks like a boiler room with an overhead door right?

12. Karl_northwind

Karl_northwind
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 13, 2012
    Loc:
    Central Wi.
    Our conversation revolved around turning the space into a boiler room with an overhead door. if you can't fit a car into it (either because of size or entrance barriers ) it's not a garage.

hobbyheater likes this.
  13. gfirkus

gfirkus
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 28, 2014
    Loc:
    central wisconsin
    I haven't had a chance to positively verify with insurance yet, but at least I learned the right verbiage to use when talking with them. It was never to be a storage area for anything besides a boiler and some wood. All the clutter in the pics, including the upper storage will be gone. I just took some quick pics while setting up.

14. Wook660

Wook660
    Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 24, 2014
    Loc:
    Connecticut
    Nice! We went with Gary's new electronic control box setup and it's been working great!

15. Buzz Saw

Buzz Saw
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 18, 2014
    Loc:
    Attica, Ohio
    In the picture with the board that has as your valves & copper piping, did you buy that prefabricated of did you do that yourself?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

16. gfirkus

gfirkus
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 28, 2014
    Loc:
    central wisconsin
    Gary made that along with the manifolds I needed for my infloor.

17. Wook660

Wook660
    Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 24, 2014
    Loc:
    Connecticut
    Yeah, Gary prefabs them at his shop for your specific application to save time when he does the final install at your house.

18. gfirkus

gfirkus
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 28, 2014
    Loc:
    central wisconsin
    The insurance ok'd the setup today. My agent had contacted their regional claims advocate to double check the situation.

Buzz Saw likes this.
  19. Zef_66

Zef_66
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 25, 2010
    Loc:
    PA
    Looks good! I pick up my 1050 on Monday from Gary. Can't wait to get mine installed and fired up!

20. gfirkus

gfirkus
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 28, 2014
    Loc:
    central wisconsin
    I'm still working on mine. Between work and family stuff I've been extremely busy since august. I still need to find some time to go bow hunting yet!! Hopefully in a couple weeks I'll have it going.

21. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 8, 2014
    Loc:
    Wisconsin Dells, WI
    Really?? We had Country Financial up until last year and when I contacted my agent about putting a Kuuma wood furnace in the basement and installing an interior-ran chimney all he said was, "have it professionally installed" and you'll be fine. I had the chimney professionally installed and also the ductwork. I installed the furnace myself, which was just basic wiring.

We have since switched to Acuity and when we disclosed we had a wood furnace they mentioned we may be contacted by someone to come out and look at the installation. It's been 6+ months or so since then and nobody has contacted us about it.

22. TCaldwell

TCaldwell
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2007
    Loc:
    Wook, how does the control box work to regulate the fire?

23. Wook660

Wook660
    Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 24, 2014
    Loc:
    Connecticut
    Well to be honest, there is a lot going on inside that box that's over my head, but I'll tell you what I know.

There are two thermocouples in the pipe right after it leaves the boiler before the fan that feed to the control box. The control box controls the speed of the fan which is infinitely adjustable, meaning it isn't just on off or high low, it changes speed depending on temperature. There are three doors on the front that are constantly adjusted depending on temperature, one for the main fire box door, one at the small lower firebox door, and one on the side that feeds air directly to the back of the fire box.
    The control box also provides power to the zone/circulating valves. If you put too much wood in and bring the water temp up too much, it has to dump the excess heat so it overrides you thermostats (don't do that in the summer, doh!)
    It also controls if equipped, when your oil gun backup kicks in. There are three controls on the front of the boiler to adjust temperature settings for when to dump the heat, kick in the oil, (drawing a blank on the third, at work right now)

The box also houses the readings for the thermocouples and on off switches for the boiler.

So I'm not sure if this all helps, and a very basic overview, but it works and works well.

24. Zef_66

Zef_66
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 25, 2010
    Loc:
    PA
    I've got mine home and in the basement. But haven't touched it since. And this weekend is moving weekend from the old house to new house. So I'm right there with you on the time schedule.

25. gfirkus

gfirkus
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 28, 2014
    Loc:
    central wisconsin
    I had the first fire today. It took about 5 hrs and 3 wheelbarrows of wood to take 1400 gallons from 55 to 210. Once the water temp got to 120 or so stack temps went up to the 350 range. Then the draft inducer slows down to keep it burning in the "sweet spot". I'm impressed with Gary's setup.

Zef_66 likes this.