Damper issue on VC Resolute- RESOLVED

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
The damper on my classic Resolute isn't shutting correctly. There is supposed to be a positive "click" when you rotate the chrome damper handle forward and down. There's no click, and it just swings back open. It's unusable as long as it does this, so I need help before it really starts getting cold here (this weekend!).

Calling @defiant3 to the front desk. Sound like this might be a warped fireback preventing the damper from closing issue.

Did the damper ever 'click' and stay in position...or is this something new? When I first purchased my Resolute 38 years ago, it wouldn't stay in the down position. So I would wedge the shovel against the lever to keep it in position. But then I realized I wasn't pushing hard enough and pushed harder than I thought the shaft could handle w/o deforming. Click. All was good after that...for 36 years.

I rebuilt the Resolute prior to last year's heating season and can't recall the boss on the damper that 'clicks' the damper into place. (Drilling out the original hardware was the biggest PITA. It had hardened to something like Grade 20 steel....) I did have to replace the fireback - which necessitated cutting about 3/8" off the full width with an air-powered cutoff disc. After that, it went together perfectly.

Cheers

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Did the damper ever 'click' and stay in position...or is this something new? When I first purchased my Resolute 38 years ago, it wouldn't stay in the down position. So I would wedge the shovel against the lever to keep it in position. But then I realized I wasn't pushing hard enough and pushed harder than I thought the shaft could handle w/o deforming. Click. All was good after that...for 36 years.

I rebuilt the Resolute prior to last year's heating season and can't recall the boss on the damper that 'clicks' the damper into place. (Drilling out the original hardware was the biggest PITA. It had hardened to something like Grade 20 steel....) I did have to replace the fireback - which necessitated cutting about 3/8" off the full width with an air-powered cutoff disc. After that, it went together perfectly.

Cheers
I'm gonna try pushing harder.

I tried to take it off when I moved it down the stairs, only to discover much more disassembly was going to be required. Then I discovered how easy it was to remove the legs, so off they came, as well as stairway handrail.

I think it worked before, and I just didn't get something back together right. I have a second one sitting nearby, so hopefully I can see what I am missing.

Got it fixed! Clicks down, just the way it's supposed to.

Just removed the screw that holds the cover over themostat and made sure everything was aligned correctly, then replaced the screw.