Damper problem on Defiant NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dtabor

Hearth Supporter
Feb 8, 2007
Lake Elmore, VT
I woke up this AM to my wife concerned that smoke kept coming out of the stove when she opened it to feed it. I told her to make sure the damper and air handle were open first. She said she did.....Well, I got up to check and I'll try to describe what is happening....

If you picture a circle, the damper handle goes back and forth on the lower half of the circle, right or forward to close, left or back to open. Well, this AM, it will not go forward at all, like hitting a wall BUT if you go back, it will go up and around to the top of the "circle" and go forward and back on the up there but does not open the damper inside.

I called the installer, he said that it sounds to him like the handle has come loose and that I need to remove it and make sure it is lined up and then re-tighten it. If that isnt it, he'll try to come by tomorrow to look at it. Well, Im leaving tomorrow evening for the weekend.......

Im at work so cant try this until later, but does this sound feasible to anyone here? It is a brand new stove and has been working really well up until this. I would think if the handle has loosened, it would be going round and round without hitting anything???

D

dtabor said:
I woke up this AM to my wife concerned that smoke kept coming out of the stove when she opened it to feed it. I told her to make sure the damper and air handle were open first. She said she did.....Well, I got up to check and I'll try to describe what is happening....

If you picture a circle, the damper handle goes back and forth on the lower half of the circle, right or forward to close, left or back to open. Well, this AM, it will not go forward at all, like hitting a wall BUT if you go back, it will go up and around to the top of the "circle" and go forward and back on the up there but does not open the damper inside.

I called the installer, he said that it sounds to him like the handle has come loose and that I need to remove it and make sure it is lined up and then re-tighten it. If that isnt it, he'll try to come by tomorrow to look at it. Well, Im leaving tomorrow evening for the weekend.......

Im at work so cant try this until later, but does this sound feasible to anyone here? It is a brand new stove and has been working really well up until this. I would think if the handle has loosened, it would be going round and round without hitting anything???

D

Sounds to me like the torsion bar has been rotated too far and is on the wrong side of the "ramp". You should be able to push the damper open with your hand or a piece of wood. Then try re-engaging. If this doesn't work you may need to access it from the pipe collar.

I was thinking more in those terms too, that something has slipped inside. Im the one who locked it in last night before bed and it was ok, My wife said this AM she didnt force anything, just moved the lever.

If I get the damper open, will that "reset" the bar/ramp or will more need to be done after opening?

D

There is an allen set screw that is tightned and lined up on the flat part of the shaft so the lever does not just spin in your hands. The installers should have made sure it was adjusted properly before leaving There is also a center damper lock nut the tightens the torsion of the damper again installers should had checked it and made necessary adjustments.

Seaken probably has it right the torsion bar is not in the right position again should have been check and adjusted during the installation. Now the only way to get at is either threw the flue collar or the flue collar has to be removed I believe that is the dealers responsibility to repair it Like I said it should have been check and adjusted upon installation Things like the door latch check and adjusted the ash door latch checked and adjusted. The installers should know the stove and what is required to set it up correctly and make these checks and adjustments.

If I know of what is require, then I would expect someone trained and being paid to, also know what it takes to setup a certain stove or model or manufacturer

Well, he hardly let me finish explaining the problem before talking about the set screw. I would have told him that the set screw loosening would cause the handle to spin around and there wouldnt be a spot on the rotation that it hits a wall. He said to try it tonite and if that wasnt it, they'd come out tomorrow and deal with it. Let them deal with it is my opinion!

To make that torsion bar slip by, wouldnt that have taken some effort on mine or my wife's part? Neither of us have forced anything. I dont know why it would have happened, but then again I dont know what it looks like inside there!

It has been working fine up until now. Of course now that the colder weather is coming and Im going to be gone this weekend it decides to start having issues!

D

They act funny sometimes when they get hot. Like suggested by others, try giving it a push with your poker, with the handle back. Once it is reset, you can usually use it again without problem. The set screw is just an allen screw, in an emergency a small flat screwdriver or anything that will grab two sides will work. But, try to open the damper and reset it first.

Just wanted to update. Checked the handle as I was told by the dealer.....not the problem as I suspected.

So, I put the handle in the position that it should be in, then reached in with the poker and tapped the damper and it fell back open. Once that happened, the handle went back into its position "on the bottom half of the circle" and all is well with the world for my stove now.

I wish I knew what caused this. Im afraid it will keep happening now. Its almost like I cringe when I put the lever forward now to close the damper!

D

It's OK, it happens sometimes and that's the soulution. Its happend in the Defiant Encore and Defiant models I've had. It always has reset with no problem. Fear not, burn on!

Status
Not open for further replies.