Danfoss Bypass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trehugr

Dec 16, 2007
Greenwood, Maine
Im planning improvements for the 2009-2010 season. One of those upgrades is piping in a bypass to the Danfoss valve, so if we leave in the winter, and the EKO turns on the pump at 40º, I won't have to remove the thermostat. Does anyone have a thought on this ?

I installed this bypass when I set up my system. It works great when you are away for extended periods. The first time I was out of town, I let the boiler cool, opened the bypass and left. However, it stayed warm enough in the boiler room that the controller did not kick on the pump. When I got home I had to deal with two spots where the loop had frozen - where it exits the garage, between the wall and ground, and where it enters the house. Next trip, I let the boiler cool, opened the bypass, and turned on the pump with the manual switch I installed. The water circulated in the loop the whole week we were gone with no problems. Temp in the loop was 55* when I got home. It took about 2 hours to be back at 175*. Just don't forget to close the bypass when you return!

trehugr said:
Im planning improvements for the 2009-2010 season. One of those upgrades is piping in a bypass to the Danfoss valve, so if we leave in the winter, and the EKO turns on the pump at 40º, I won't have to remove the thermostat. Does anyone have a thought on this ?
Yep I did this you can see a pic of it in my blog.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.