Dare I lubricate the storage bin walls on my Harman P43?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Snow

Dec 19, 2012
Greenville, NY
I have the standard 50 lb. bin, but the stove will shut down on no pellets with 20-25 lbs. left in the bin. It's easy enough to manually pile them over the feed but you would think the slope of the bin walls would make this unnecessary. I'm wondering if it's the pellets (it's a new stove and our first ton) or the bin or maybe our gravity isn't what it should be. Any idea's from the experts? If I do lubricate the walls, what would I use that will not dissolve the pellets?

Never heard of Harman feed issue. What kind of S$%# pellets did they sell you? Maybe someone else knows whats up but if making the bin more slippery I would paint with graphite paint and would permently solve the problem. I am looking into another stove and the 43 is on the short list.

Call your dealer and have him adjust the gravity using the Harman Gravity Adjustment tool part number 1-00-012340. Once that is adjusted your problem should be solved.

JUST KIDDING

Try another brand of pellet and see what happens. I have never had that issue with a customer.

Eric

if your walls aren't painted you can slick them up by rubbing wax paper over them. we used to do this on metal slides as kids to make them super slippery

Reactions: The Ds
Wax paper it is. My newest grandson is a bit too big to slide down the walls on his butt so we will have to come up with a new method. Love the Harman BTW. Burning North American Pellets out of Massena, NY. $209 from Home Depot. Seem a little high on ash but I'm only half way through my first ton.

Reactions: SXIPro
I have been burning the p38 (non automatic version of p43) for 7 years and only end up w/ maybe a cup of pellets after running out. It has to be the pellets. You could try slicking up the hopper so you can burn the pellets you already own., do the pellets hang on the walls to the point where you can see opening in the bottom of the hopper? Or are the pellets bridging and you have to stir them around to get it to feed again?

I agree. Pellet issue. Our p43 shuts down when there's less than a handful of pellets left. I've burned 5 bags of the North American pellets and had no problems.

This is brought up from time to time. Suggestions include anything from dry graphite to furniture polish.

Unless the pellets are real crap, over time the pellets themselves will buff the metal to where there is no issue. I used a small amount of graphite in first year burning. Have not had to re apply or have had any issues since. 4 ton a year thru the hopper does the trick on its own.

Try the wax paper and if that doesnt help, maybe try adjust the gravity :p

My experience with the P43 is the same as the other Harman owners, about a little less than a handful left in the hopper when it runs out.

My experience with the P43 is the same as the other Harman owners, about a little less than a handful left in the hopper when it runs out.
If it shuts down with a little less than a handfull, that's no big deal, as its virtually empty anyways. But any more than a handful is a waste.

OP doesn't have the sickness Yet , Those of you who do, know what I'm talking about level the pellets in the hopper, fondle the pellets, level again, check the hopper . Problem solved:)

OP doesn't have the sickness Yet , Those of you who do, know what I'm talking about level the pellets in the hopper, fondle the pellets, level again, check the hopper . Problem solved:)
I immediately thought of writing this when I read the original post. Gotta keep the hopper topped off. Squeeze every pellet possible in it each morning before work and each night before bed!

Reactions: P38X2
I immediately thought of writing this when I read the original post. Gotta keep the hopper topped off. Squeeze every pellet possible in it each morning before work and each night before bed!

Sick Bast***ds. I would never think of doing such a thing.:rolleyes:

All good answers. I use furniture polish :)

My Classic Bay feeds damn near every last pellet. Might be a stray here and there. But gets about 99% of them.

I agree it's a pellet issue. Both my stoves leave a cup at most. U might try the options suggested. Wax paper sounds the easiest to me.

Had the same problem with a p43 I bought last year. Talked to Harman......they were ZERO help. They suggested wax paper. Problem was the inside of the hopper was rough, almost like a textured paint. I completely sanded the inside of the hopper, then waxed it with about 3 coats of paste wax. About twice a year I rub down the inside of the hopper with wax paper. No problems since.

throw me into the gang that says its a pellet issue. We have sold way too many p38's and p43's to not have seen this as an issue as of yet. I wonder if the pellets have excessive fines? Or, maybe pellet corner got damp, you saw the clump, and being the savvy pellet user, you realized that that big clump wouldnt go into the feeder, so you broke it up and dumped it into the bin? Well, dont do that. Throw the clump out.

also, as for the mouthful/handful debate, lets just say quality over quantity is where its at.

Status
Not open for further replies.