deck plans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zrock

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2017
bc
Anyone have a good site for Deck plans? Looking to replace my 10 x 16 deck that was never properly built in the first place and now falling apart... Its only about 2-3ft off the ground and when i replace it i want to put a clear roof on it... I have built lots of basic decks but nothing with a roof and that is where im having issues with planning it out... I know the deck structure and know roof structure but not 100% sure on how to join the 2 so they are structurally strong... I was thinking 4x4 all the way to the top but when i figure notching the 4x4 for the deck it does not leave a lot of meat left.. Since its so low to the ground by code in my area i do not need a railing so im thinking of putting steps all the way around. Since the deck is in a shady spot thinking of using water and ice on the top of the structure for the deck so water and moisture is not sitting on the structure all the time.

Get an engineer to design your roof
for your area re snow loads even if you get snow
once in ten years.
A roof puts a whole new meaning to the structure
no longer a deck but a veranda or porch.
some ideas

Personally I would be using 6"x6" posts to support the deck and roof, but that would need to be verified with the BC building code for compliance.

Depending on what you are after a professional engineer should not be required, but you will need to be aware of what the BC building code requires and talking to an experienced framer would be a good start on this. From what I can find the BC building code is available online which could point you in the right direction, but it also appears the code changes based on region due to differences in snowloading.

I would be tempted to post this over on S&M, I think you'll get answers more tailored to your situation, and there's at least a few members over there involved in residential construction.

Search on "How to build a covered deck? for several articles and videos like this one.

I know what is required by building code and min code is a 4x4.. But i did not like that idea as their will be nothing left once notched... Like the image above i would like to use 6x6 notched as i hate the look of adding little PC around the post like in the pic/vid above.. Nothing gets inspected in my area so i have seen some nasty roof's. This is going to be a floating deck and i was originally going to go with a double beam under the deck for support since that makes a nice sturdy deck... But then in my mind it leaves nothing for a roof structure support unless you get the beam under the 6x6 for the roof

Question Do you get frost in the ground and if so how deep?

yes we get frost a couple of feet down... Issue being since i live in a trailer park i cannot put footings in and make a permanent structure... Thinking of possibly using the screw piles you can get from home depo (if i can miss the big tree roots that go under the deck. Or use the deck blocks that are under their now and add the leveling screws to them.

Interesting twist, no footings is the ground. Not sure how to deal with that. But screw pilling sounds like it could work. I was going to say go out 12 ft. 10' is tight for a table. I put 3, 2 x 10 beam under the floor joist. This is at 10' with a 2 ft overhang. Looks better, and tightens it all up, when your 9 ft in the air. 6 X 6 posts. And is this attached to the trailer? The key is double flashing the house connection. The roof, needs to be built to code. Snow load and it wants to fly away.

no nothing will be tied to the trailer.. Iv seen some in the park that are tied to the trailer and in winter when the frost hits you can see the roof twisting so without footings below the frost line nothing will be attached So me that puts to much strain on the connection to the home.. Roof will be better than local code Same thing when i built my shed. Not that im overly concerned about show load as i do not let it build up on the roof before i clear it...

For a detached structure you can probably just use deck blocks
1632410581274.png

Oh it needs to be free standing and not attached. Better, that way, everything can move a bit. What do they do to tie down trailers? I would not do a 10 x 16 open roof without it tied down,

Up until about 5 years ago they did nothing to tie down trailers... Now we use earthquake anchors driven about 4 foot into the ground and chained to the frame... Not worried about it moving as where the deck in my house gets 0 wind all the wind is at the front of the house and with the plastic panel roof that would rip of before it ever moved the weight of a deck but will probably add a couple since i still have access to the tools for that and only takes 5 min to do. Think im going to go with the 3 rows of 2x10 under the deck as that is a much stronger way to build and that's how i have saved the current deck for this year. I never really cared for bolting legs right to the decks framing...