Deer Antlers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
I live in the exurbs and deer usually walk through our yard. This weekend I happened to find 2 matching stag antlers, 3-point, within 20' of each other in my yard. Is this rare?

Time to drop the horns. This allows them to slip through the new greenery that we are supposed to be seeing soon.

most of the time, we find them farther apart then that. In a suburban area,,,maybe they use the same trees to knock them off, where in the woods they have many choices.

I could stop the next deer i see and ask,,,,,,,,,they are thick out here. I have killed more deer with my toyota then most hunters have with a gun.

Reactions: smokedragon
No, not rare at all.

Common to find pairs as one falls off the other causes lopsided head carry so they work hard to drop it. Find one walk a spiral outward to find the other. Out here antler hunting is big spring activity as mule deer and elk antlers can sell for $$$$%

I've only found 1 shed antler in the woods never a pair, but I prefer to find them still attached to the bucks head in deer season.;lol

Reactions: smokedragon
Pretty cool, I like to take a few hours around this time of year and go antler hunting. Sometimes I'll save them if they're nice enough, but most of the time I give them to my dog to chew up. They last WAY longer than a bone.

Some places require they are tagged

I've only found 1 shed antler in the woods never a pair, but I prefer to find them still attached to the bucks head in deer season.;lol

I've found 3 different 10 point skulls with antlers still attached in the woods. I always wonder if they were hit by cars, or shot by a hunter that never tracked them.

Reactions: Driver
Pretty neat. YYou have to find them quick before the mice chew them for calcium.

I have heard of people putting down food with a bail of straw over it this time of year- the deer will lose antlers trying to push the bale off. Not sure I like this idea though- feeding them is bad for them for a number of reasons.

Reactions: Dune
I've found 3 different 10 point skulls with antlers still attached in the woods. I always wonder if they were hit by cars, or shot by a hunter that never tracked them.
Could be either. There are some really sorry hunters out there though, if the deer doesn't drop when they pull the trigger they don't bother to check if it was even hit.

I do not know about your area but there is an illness called chronic wasting disease that has dropped deer is some areas of my state

Let's not turn this into a hunting thread. It was taboo for the ash can and that means no go for the rest.

And you can't eat horns.>>

Back to the horns, my 7 yr old is very artistic and wants to make something from them. Any suggestions?

Deer antler pendant light 215.jpg

Reactions: Osage
Let's not turn this into a hunting thread. It was taboo for the ash can and that means no go for the rest.

And you can't eat horns.>>

What's that mean? I signed up on here over a year ago, but didn't become a regular until a month or 2 ago so I don't know about the "rules". There's a ban on mentioning hunting? I kind of figured a firewood/chainsaw forum goes hand in hand with guns and hunting?

What's that mean? I signed up on here over a year ago, but didn't become a regular until a month or 2 ago so I don't know about the "rules". There's a ban on mentioning hunting? I kind of figured a firewood/chainsaw forum goes hand in hand with guns and hunting?

It does (and there is nothing wrong with the above post, just didn't want it to go off tracks). There are many members (including mods) that are outdoorsman/hunters/gun owners. That being said - there are tons of forums on the net specific to that. Hearth is about burning stuff for heat.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/welcome-have-a-seat-by-the-fire-and-lets-chat-and-forum-rules.1/

Feel free to review.

Wow, what a waste.

Of course, I killed 4 deer this year and three of them didn't have antlers at all.

You could probably sell those antlers to someone for arts/crafts (or for rattling).

Nice

Common to find pairs as one falls off the other causes lopsided head carry so they work hard to drop it.
I think this varies a lot geographically......around here the white tails are smaller and they don't tend to be in pairs that close together. I imagine the larger mule deer and elk would be quite ready to shed that second antler ==c

Wow, what a waste.

Of course, I killed 4 deer this year and three of them didn't have antlers at all.

You could probably sell those antlers to someone for arts/crafts (or for rattling).

I normally get one doe a year, so I like to keep 2 of the skulls hanging in the basement as decoration. And no, I don't take credit for them!! The other one I cut up and let the pup chew on. I probably could have sold it since it was a pretty stout 10, but my pup was in a phase where he'd destroy EVERYTHING I gave him to play with and I saw some antlers for sale in the pet store one day. I figured it was crazy to buy a chunk of antler when I had 3 sets at home! And it's been 8 months now and he hasn't destroyed those antlers!

They are tough.....good use of a free find.

Hey for that matter, instead of selling them to craft folks, chop em up and sell em to the pet store. They charge a bunch for a little hunk of antler now that I think about it.

smokedragot: 1702447 said:
Wow, what a waste.

Nice

I think this varies a lot geographically......around here the white tails are smaller and they don't tend to be in pairs that close together. I imagine the larger mule deer and elk would be quite ready to shed that second antler ==c

We got jackalope bigger than whitetail.
River bottom white tails here are as smart as any deer

Deer around here are different.....they won't pay any attention to decoys. Bucks won't eat food plots or corn except at night (most of the time). You really gotta set up on an established trail and know what you're doing.

But that is the fun.

I hunt for meat, so antlers don't matter to me.

Last year we let deer go by just so my son could experience deer and their behavior.

Decoys and bait hunting do not meet my standard for hunting...like shooting ducks on the water. Same for snagging fish. To me it's respect for the animal in it's natural setting and life that are important.

I like spike elk antlers for toothpicks but antler and meat seldom go together..ever heard of a bubble gum bull

I agree. But my point was decoys don't work around here like they do up north.

I enjoy hunting, but it needs to be a challenge.

Reactions: 1kzwoman
Status
Not open for further replies.