Defiant Encore 0028 (1988purchase); Top Front Bolt Access

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WTM

Dec 28, 2015
Atlanta
We moved the stove (lifting it by the top) for a chimney cleaning. I now have a leak (smoke oozing from front right top corner of stove). I have, in the past, taken the stove apart to replace gaskets and replaced fireback kit. At that time, I had the stove top removed and I remember replacing it with 4 bolts (one in each corner). My problem now: how to access the top front bolts, so I can tighten them. The two front bolts presumably behind the airwash manifold, immediately above the doors. I remove the single bolt thru its center and the screw under the grate handle. The manifold is loose (jiggles freely) but does not come out. What do I need to do to get to the bolts in the front corners?
I have recently reviewed my file diagrams - no hints.

IIRC, the VC units were assembled with 1/4-20 threaded rod in each corner.
They are tightened from the bottom with a doubled up hex nut. Once fully seated,
the extra nut is removed, the remaining nut tightened to draw the bottom & sides
together, & then the excess threaded rod is snapped off. You can try tightening
the hex nut with a 7/16" socket. I don't remember small bolts, but t's been 10+
years since I worked on one.

IIRC, the VC units were assembled with 1/4-20 threaded rod in each corner.
They are tightened from the bottom with a doubled up hex nut. Once fully seated,
the extra nut is removed, the remaining nut tightened to draw the bottom & sides
together, & then the excess threaded rod is snapped off. You can try tightening
the hex nut with a 7/16" socket. I don't remember small bolts, but t's been 10+
years since I worked on one.

Thanks for response. Any advice on how to remove the airwash manifold so I can get to the bolts? Looks like it should just slip out..but it doesn't. It's loose/rattles and I have scratched away any deposits and pryed gently. What step can I possibly be missing?

Glad to be of service. Happy New Year to you as well!
Rode yesterday, but winter got here last night, so I might
be done for awhile...*sigh*

Hold up, the 0028 doesn"t HAVE bolts in the front corners, only the single screw under the griddle handle, and of course the 2 nutted studs in the rear corners. Prolly does need resealing, but I give you permission as of now to stop searching for bolts that aren't there.

Reactions: Defiant
Status
Not open for further replies.