Defiant Encore Air Control Lever Broken

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MG4545

Jan 15, 2022
Cape Cod
Hi everyone, the airflow control level on the right side of my defiant encore doesn’t work. It just falls down to the closed position and doesn’t stay open. I can hear mechanically that it’s working but just doesn’t have any hold in the lever to keep it open. Trying to figure out if I need to replace. Maybe the thermal coil in the rod? Anyone else have this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Might just be a set screw needing tightening.

Could be the cable from the control handle to the air flap. Mine was rubbing from new and finally broke causing the primary air door to stay in the closed position. New cable was the fix

Could be the cable from the control handle to the air flap. Mine was rubbing from new and finally broke causing the primary air door to stay in the closed position. New cable was the fix
Found out what it was.

There’s a tension spring on the inside of the stove that was compressed and wore out. Bought a new thermostat assembly reattached the cable put a new tension spring on it and it works great now.