Dell-Point start up sequence

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyL

Jan 11, 2008
Norfolk co. Ma.
Hi, I just bought a Dell-Point Europa 75 I got it for a good price and I'm interested in the fact that it is a gasification type stove.
I have not yet installed it, but wish to do the first burn outside. Is there anyone who owns a Dell-Point that could describe the start up sequence?
For example when does the combustion fan start , convection fan start etc. The owners manual really leaves something to be desired.
Thanks .

AndyL said:
Hi, I just bought a Dell-Point Europa 75 I got it for a good price and I'm interested in the fact that it is a gasification type stove.
I have not yet installed it, but wish to do the first burn outside. Is there anyone who owns a Dell-Point that could describe the start up sequence?
For example when does the combustion fan start , convection fan start etc. The owners manual really leaves something to be desired.
Thanks .
My friend has one of these and the start up procedure card which came with the unit is great. I had a chance to buy one too but missed the boat. I was going to use it in my cabin. Anyway the srat-up procedure card says to start using 1 1/2 full measures of wood pellets in the burn pot and sprinkle a little starter material on top of the pellets, light the material and close the dorr and press the appropriate button for the fuel.
Because I liked it so much I have spent a lot of time in front of my buddies stove. When you press the start button the combustion fan kicks in on full and the convection blower comes on after four minutes. There is an automatic start-up period of around 30 minutes before the controls are handed over to you. As far as I can rememberyou have control over the combustion fan but the convection fan regulates depending on the heat level you are burning at. It regulates automatically.
I love this stove, I wish I'd bought one before the dealer went under. He was selling them at a great price too!

Thanks for the info. The reason I asked, was that the combustion fan was not coming on when the start button was pressed.
After your response I knew something was wrong. After a little troubleshooting It Ended up being a disconnected wire between
the combustion fan and the speed controller. All is well now.
Thanks again.

AndyL said:
Thanks for the info. The reason I asked, was that the combustion fan was not coming on when the start button was pressed.
After your response I knew something was wrong. After a little troubleshooting It Ended up being a disconnected wire between
Thanks again.
No problem. I'm glad you sorted it out. But I am jealous!

AndyL said:
Thanks again.

Andy, when you say start button, do you mean the pellet prime feed? I have the multi-fuel Europa 75. I follow the docs in preparing to light. after the pellet auger is primed, I light the starter pellets, let it burn for maybe 30 seconds and then close the door and press the correct fuel button. I my case, it has been for wood pellets. The combustion air seems to begin then and build up. The heat exchanger fan will come on when the temps get up to where they need to be. Maybe 5 minutes.

Jerry

Jerry, I also have the multi-fuel model. I did say the start button, I should have said the fuel selector button. The fuel in my case is woodpellet.
The problem I was having was that the convection blower did not work, and I did not know the start up sequence so I was unsure if there
was a problem. The info in the manual is in My opinion awful. Anyway, I have been too busy to really play with the Dell-Point yet, only did
a couple of test fires for a total of about three hours but it seems to be running very well now that I fixed the loose wire.
I start my stove with a Burnsomatic torch no starter pellets or starter jell only takes about 20 seconds, I think it works very well.

Andy, the starter pellets, or soaking a small amount of pellets with gelled alcohol is easier and less costly than wasting propane. Just throw in a lit wooden match and wait a minute, or so.

I take it your torch has a hose after the valve?

Jerry

jamorris said:
Andy, the starter pellets, or soaking a small amount of pellets with gelled alcohol is easier and less costly that wasting propane. Just throw in a lit wooden match and wait a minute, or so.

I take it your torch has a hose after the valve?

Jerry

I also have the multi-fuel Europa 75. I bought and installed it myself with little effort. And I have not used my gas furnace since. Well, except for the occasional long weekend trip away from home. I have a 2 story 1800 sqft. not counting the basement. The basement is unfinished at this time so the stove was installed in my living room. I am burning corn at this time and like it very much, I make my own start-up pellets by using a 2 quart glass jar with a air tight lid and fill it up with wood pellets then fill with denatured alcohol, let this sit for at least a week so wood pellets have time to soak. I use about 1/2 cup for a star-tup and just replace what I use from the jar as needed. The denatured alcohol can be found at your favorite hardware store in the paint section.

Bowhunter, you have a cheaper method than mine. But, I question the need for such soaking time for the pellets. Mine only soak while I am cleaning the stove.

Jerry

I buy the fireplace squares or fireplace sticks in March when they are half price or less. I use one 1 1/2 square (or cut the sick) to light the stove and a match. Never failed in 15 years.
Electric start or propane ..... come on.. A box of matches last two years for me.
Plus the electric starts are some 10 amps... a small UPS would scream overload until it the glow plug turned off.

Jerry,

I tried to soak for a shorter period of time but corn takes such a hot fire to get it to start it's combustion that the extra time soaking makes the pellets burn hotter longer.

Bowhunter said:
Jerry,

I tried to soak for a shorter period of time but corn takes such a hot fire to get it to start it's combustion that the extra time soaking makes the pellets burn hotter longer.

Sounds reasonable. I have not burnt corn, yet. I don't want any rodent bait around, but I ought to try a few bags. Are you using the pellets to pre-fill the pot first, then adding starter pellets? I read you are supposed to start up the stove on pellets and then feed in the corn.

Jerry

I only use 1/2 cup of my home made starter pellets in the startup phase. Then the corn feeds in after you select the corn start. I believe I get a higher btu from corn than I did from pellets. The only thing that is different is the amount of ash. Corn leaves a fair amount of ash. I dump once a week but, I have to open the ash door and spread it around to keep the pile from building up around the auger about every 2-3 days. And as for the rodent problem I have a 500# hopper in my garage that keeps them at bay. I have traps out and have only caught 2 since I installed it. My corn supply is not far from me so I buy bulk and he stores it in his elevator until I need it. I just drive over and pick the bags up when I need them with my truck. And it also serves dual purpose for me. As I buy 20 bags at a time and fill the hopper leaving the rest in the truck for weight in the snow. I do have a bed cover to keep it dry. My suplier keeps his corn at about 12-15 % moister. ANy more than that and you don't get as good of a burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.