DEPENDABLE pellet shove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trx680

Sep 27, 2011
Petersburg Virginia
I've got an Englander 24 woodstove insert. I really don't use it that often since I have a heatpump and I work the night shift and my wife doesn't want to deal with starting a fire. And I'm really tired of hassling with the firewood itself and the mess it makes.
I'd like to have a pellet insert mostly for the conveyance, my wife can get it going with the press of a button and dont have to deal with the wood mess. I wont be using it everyday, just on occasion.
So I'm looking for a stove that is dependable. I want to be able to start it and not worry about it.
Really needs to be an INSERT, not a freestanding.
Who has a dependable. reliable INSERT that they'd recommend?

Yup…I’m Harman through and through

Harman

sam

Reactions: Washed-Up
10 years ago I bought a house with an old enviro ef2 insert. I couldn't move it to clean it so I bought a newer pellet stove which is a quadrafire. The enviro was old but it threw much more heat than the quadrafire. Probably a bigger blower motor but the enviro is a good stove. I would have bought an enviro before the quad but the local dealers weren't selling them.

Bought my 14 year old XXV this year and am very impressed with its heat output and the simplicity of using (the wife has no issues at all with it). Besides a little squeaking (I should have cleaned the auger much more thoroughly before install) it runs great.

+Harman , parent’s 2008 model accentra insert still going strong 5 tons a year , my 2014 model 52i , still going strong, I’ve owned it the last 5 years of its life and put in 4-5 a year in it.

I've got an Englander 24 woodstove insert. I really don't use it that often since I have a heatpump and I work the night shift and my wife doesn't want to deal with starting a fire. And I'm really tired of hassling with the firewood itself and the mess it makes.
I'd like to have a pellet insert mostly for the conveyance, my wife can get it going with the press of a button and dont have to deal with the wood mess. I wont be using it everyday, just on occasion.
So I'm looking for a stove that is dependable. I want to be able to start it and not worry about it.
Really needs to be an INSERT, not a freestanding.
Who has a dependable. reliable INSERT that they'd recommend?
Harman!

Reactions: Washed-Up
I just looked this thread over and almost all the replies
have been thumbs up for Harman
So I just looked over the threads just on page one
And of the Questions and problems of the most popular
and newer stoves, The stove with the most Questions
asked is by far Harman. So are they better or are they
just harder to dial in or do they make them too complicated?
My two Enviros have never caused me a problem or let me down
they are easy to clean, diagnose, and repair
Just my nickles worth

Just my nickles worth
I think it’s more of the amount of people who have them and the more that have something naturally the more complaints … they are very easy stoves to work on and troubleshoot, you have a exhaust sensor which automatically adjusts feed rate up to your set max so there is no real fiddling with air/fuel ratio. There is a room temp sensor for when you are running in room temp, there is a vac sensor , combustion motor, room blower , and auger … it really doesn’t get simpler than that. I know of stoves that used a bmw mass airflow sensor lol (austroflamm). All that aside , in my experience if someone wants a set and forget stove , Harman is usually the go to as there is the set and forget. I think you will agree that it also goes down to the install quality and dealer in what makes a stove work well or not from day one as well as how it’s cared for.

Just my nickles worth
Enviro would have been my first choice! No local dealers for me

I prefer Harman especially for an insert. They are the easiest inserts to service with the rail system. All the others have to be dragged out of the hole to service from what I have found. They are designed for easy service and cleaning. All exhaust paths are accessible with no gasketed covers or connections. I service . I can do a full service on a Harman insert including venting from the bottom in about an hour by myself. If you want to do your own service get a service rail kit. It is about $400. It will pay for itself. Cleaning run $175-200 plus.

Just my nickles worth
I'm new to pellet stoves this year, but the Harman Ascentra series insert uses the same controller as my absolute 43. Set the temerature and the stove does the rest automatically. There is also manual setting if you want to play.

Enviro Milan, but I would say as long as you don't buy it at Lowes or Home Depot, you'll be OK. There is no right answer to your question. When I shopped, for me, I couldn't see myself spending the extra $1000 - $1500 for a Harmon. The people that own them say it's worth it though. I've had my stove for 12 years and I've had to replace the ignitor ( this year), and the combustion blower. It's been pretty solid.

If a Harman Accentra free standing is near as much "akin to" my 30 year old Vermont Castings 2220 Reliance as it seems to be, count me as a Harmon vote.