Dexen nd3933i problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

macleight

Dec 9, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Hello,

I bought this house a week ago. It has a Hearth and Home ND3933i fireplace in it. So do all the other homes on this block, it appears. When we did the inspection prior to purchasing the house, the pilot light would light, but that was all. We assumed it worked, but had gas turned off or something else. We have no information from the previous owner on when the fireplace last operated. The house was built in 2003, It appears this unit has been in place since then.

Anyways, I have the system hooked up and gas flowing to it. I have one simple switch to turn the unit on. Yesterday, this would turn on the pilot light, no spark after flame rectification, but the main burner wouldn't turn on. Pilot would stay lit indefinitely. I checked many forums, tried tapping on the solenoids, checked all my wiring, checked gas coming in, nothing. Today, I took off the valves, checked for any debris (valves appear very clean), wire brushed the thermocouple and flame rod, reassembled the unit, and it turned on fully, just fine. Ran for about 20 minutes, then just cut out. Since then, the unit will spark, but will not light the pilot.

I currently have all trimming and glass off, the log assembly off, and cannot smell any gas. Turning on the switch causes a spark, but will not light. I've checked the module again with the spark test, the module is fine. I've measured voltage at the pilot solenoid (switch ON), voltage is fine. I used compressed air to blow out the pilot oriface. That seemed to work for a minute, there was a small, intermittent pilot flame. I've taken off the valve assembly front and turned on the gas, gas is flowing through the ball valve by smell test. I've checked all grounds and wires for continuity, checked voltage to module again, all fine. I took off the pilot outlet from the burner side and used a piece of picture frame wire to travel down the pilot line. I got almost to the end, but couldn't get it through the very beginning of the pilot line. I wire brushed everything again and cleaned the area. I checked the gas input and main outlet screens for debris, nothing. Still only a spark with no pilot flame, no smell of gas. Removing the main solenoid doesn't seem to release gas. Only removing the full valve front will cause the smell of gas, and only just barely. I've waited about 2 hours, checking intermittently, to let gas flow through the pilot, and still nothing, Sparks without lighting.

Edit:
I have the current solenoid installed:
Variable 705-500 NG (705-501 LP)
And the Pilot assembly is:
4021-025 NG (26) LP
I have the battery addition and the batteries are installed and brand new.

Any help is appreciated. I've been following this guide for help:

And the manual here:

Last edited:
Did you check the gas pressure?

1576188549290.png

Did you check the gas pressure?

View attachment 253333

I did not; I don't have the equipment for that. I was using the smell test.

Turns out there was an error at the gas company. After a day and a half of messing with the fireplace, I tried to take a shower and had no hot water. I had already lit the water heater, so that was curious. Called the gas company, fixed the error, gas back to the house, fireplace lit fine. When it ran for 20 minutes before it must have been the last bit of gas left in the line.

To anyone who finds this thread, try the troubleshooting guide. It's expansive and easy to follow.

Reactions: DAKSY