Did Hamer's turn in to a poor pellet?

t5eu9eb7 Posted By t5eu9eb7, Sep 22, 2018 at 11:44 PM

1. t5eu9eb7

t5eu9eb7
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 24, 2013
    I have been burning 7-8 tons of Hamer's a year for the past few years. Last year they seemed to leave a lot more ash and they definitely required a lot more frequent cleaning of the heat exchanger. Did I just get a bad batch? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Sodbuster

Sodbuster
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 22, 2012
    Loc:
    Michigan
    I'd call them directly and pose the same question them, as you did to us. Sometimes companies change things in hopes of saving some money, and unless they hear negative feedback from long term customers like you they may not even realize there's a problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tonyray

Tonyray
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2013
    Loc:
    Bucks County,Pa /North of Phila Eagles
    They do leave a heavy coarse ash from what I have burned.

4. PelletPirate

PelletPirate
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 11, 2015
    Loc:
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I stopped burning them 2 years ago but they were going down hill for me. That's why I switched.

5. t5eu9eb7

t5eu9eb7
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 24, 2013
    I need to find another brand. It is a shame. I liked to buy from my local feed store and support the small business but they only carry Hamer's.

6. Pellet-King

Pellet-King
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 30, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern Ct
    There wood source probably has changed, you cant always get the same wood for years and years, pellets that were once great are now not so, heard somerset's went down the tube too

7. ctjames

ctjames
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 15, 2014
    Loc:
    CT
    Sorry to hear that. I have a Quadra-Fire Mt. Vernon E2. I’ve burned Hamer's for 4 years, 5-6 tons/year, always performed well but ironically I’ve had the opposite experience than you this year. They are burning better than ever for me. In years past, even with a newly cleaned stove and max combustion air I always had some level of clinkers upon daily cleaning of the burn pot. This year, about 20 bags in, zero residue when I dump the pot. This batch was purchased in New Milford, CT....

8. rcook430

rcook430
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2015
    Loc:
    Ashland Ky
    I have learned there are no great pellets year to year. I have went back and forth with Hamers and Somersets. Luckily the are on opposite years of good and bad. This year I am back to Somersets as the are good this year. Hated them last year.

9. Tonyray

Tonyray
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 11, 2013
    Loc:
    Bucks County,Pa /North of Phila Eagles
    I burned EZblaze Super Premium softwoods for couple years.
    always had lot of fines but a very hot low ash pellet. pellets we're very small and burned up quick.
    this year absolutley no fines and the pellets are 3 different sizes in the bag.
    small/med/bit long..i'm happy...

Edward Hughes likes this.