Did Hubby not do right the shed roof ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
I dont know why he didnt take the corrugated aluminum all the way up to the ridge board on the feathered girls new house.. He made a homemade ridge cap.....too with coil stock seamed once. He cut off the 4 ft lenths we ordered so that its 4 inches shy of the ridge. He use a "landcape looking layered fabric "fllter" under the ridge cap.
He wanted feathered girls to have ventilation there plus on the soffits.. which they so much need....
I am so rah < (pulling my hair out ) ...cause snow is blowing in... He usually builds fine or used to The rest of the house looks nice 6 by 11 feet.... it all aluminum on the outside. The corrugated alum roofing was special ordered and expensive....
also ordered a sheet of white heavy duty white fiberlass corrugated pc. for "skylight" for that roof too. he put a pc on both sides of the gable roof...
he put a long pice of rolled fabric there for now... bought some foam backer rod and says he will caulk too
thought yall
thank yall

Maybe rather than placing so much blame you could've spent some time helping. I'm sure proposed fix whatever it is should work. Very hard to follow your post the way it's written

It's like reading Pookese . . . my take away is that her husband built a chicken coop and she is not pleased with the way he built it.

Reactions: Highbeam
well in that case the birds will be fine. i've got birds outside in 6 degrees with negative windchills. windbreak is a must, but they're hearty depending on the bread. remember it's down, the stuff is warm.

I do enjoy these ramblings, and if you read it twice, you can get an idea whats going on.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
The aluminum is cut so there's no going back. If it's that bad he'll have to fix it at the cap by extending it and/or using the proper vent mesh. Either way I'm sure he knows what he needs to do. Did the chickens complain to him first or go right over his head?

Blowing snow will find its way through just about any ventilated cap. I get a small amount through mine on my house and its not a big deal. It sounds like he did it right. If you restrict ventilation too much, your feathered friends will die in the summer heat. A bit of snow will not harm them at all.
Enjoyed the post:)

Outside closure strip of foam will go under the bridge and over the metal. It's shaped to fit the roof. Probably not needed as noted above, but it will accomplish what you're trying to do.

Sounds like he made a ridge vent which is typical construction procedure for the early 21st century.

OH please You GUys.. It s not ramblings..:rolleyes: Dang it he would not have listened anyway... He is a wonderful man a genius at times....well most times anyway...
Yall just skim thru my post anyway.. most of yall anyway....But thanks anyway...
He cut off the 4 foot tall corugated ALUMINUM from edges to ridge. The METAL SALES company cut the pcs into 4 foot lenghts.. But he cut it off cause he thought it wouldnt get enough air..... and put that MESH...mesh roof " .cap" ... a homemade ridge pc he cut form the coil stock.....Yeah its fine if its not raining or snowing... He chinzed on the ridge by seaming and only using like a 12 pc. of coil stock.. Instead of say 18 inches..... He cant scoot it up cause he didnt leave much overhang... He said he would run into it while working on it in the garage......RAH.....
In our former home we bought already made aluminum ridge vents.... for our seversl roofs..... but I dont see it now. I believe it came in 10 ft lenghts....
The small amt of snow so far was blowing right down the center of floor.. Prob some got on the GIRLS.....
Snow tomoorow. I hate to see how much comes in then...:mad:
I found out he did the same thing when he covered an old existing shed, with steel roofing this time.....
at least where he put two pcs. of corrugated lexan for skylighting.... He didnt tell me last year that he did so..... He stayed back like 4 inches.. thats exactly where the snow blows in just that one section.. not the part that the metal goes all way to the RIDGE....:(
thanks for listening anyway.... but no one really did a definitive answer.......huh...

The aluminum is cut so there's no going back. If it's that bad he'll have to fix it at the cap by extending it and/or using the proper vent mesh. Either way I'm sure he knows what he needs to do. Did the chickens complain to him first or go right over his head?

He did use the mesh.....
It prob was blowing on them..... Plus now got NEW wood chips in there and I hate it getting wet
I need to call the guttering place and ask them to cut a lenght of stock so he does have to cut it off a pc of 24 inch wide stuff.

Just throw a Magic Heat on there-problem solved... :p

Reactions: firefighterjake
product-closures-r-panel_large.png

If this wouldn't fix your problem then I guess, I too, must have zero idea as to what you're talking about.

View attachment 173000
View attachment 172499

If this wouldn't fix your problem then I guess, I too, must have zero idea as to what you're talking about.

Yeah i know about those. He has some at other house left over no sure if they are the same profile though
but wont that block the whole purpose of ventilation for them.?
also he (according to a you tube. ..."common meta roofing mistakes"..He put the metal down wrong. He put the short end down first ...the edge that is.. you know for overlapping. I did some more reading and it said 1 1/2 minumum for distance from ridge to metal.... well at least he put that" waffle mesh" up there so far sincehe put that fabiric
Hopefully when it warms he can correct it. and put a wider vent on. say use a 16 inch coil stock.
I first was going to use" Ondura" sold at Lowes, for roofing. but read bad reviews on another forum about the product. Now" ondura" has vent closures in solid and "vented holes"... Called Lowes and those foam closures wont fit my..profile aluminum corrugations...
ah well but guess I need to investigate stuff more... since..most men wont read the instructions. have
when I was brooming off their roof today, with the snow we have. I saw the waffle mesh. some was blocked by the snow.. what I could see from the ground.... hopefully the sun cleared the waffles out the snow..
thanks guys

Attachments

• PC160151.JPG
    PC160151.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 167
1st: Do your chickens have a travel trailer?
2nd: I think I see what you mean by "coil stock" If it was flat metal bent over the roof it probably won't work great. You need at least 10" 90 degree factory bend.
3rd: Any type of pink insulation can be shoved into the profile to fill the gap. It's only a coop after all.

1st: Do your chickens have a travel trailer?
2nd: I think I see what you mean by "coil stock" If it was flat metal bent over the roof it probably won't work great. You need at least 10" 90 degree factory bend.
3rd: Any type of pink insulation can be shoved into the profile to fill the gap. It's only a coop after all.

yeah originally supp to have been. But Hubby overdid it.I wanted it big.11 ft long... But I asked him to make it less tall. But he wouldnt.... plus now the exit chute attached to it, going into the original run,
the whole shebang, It,s prob too top heavy to travel the less than 20 mile to other home. Hills there too...
.the frame is a boat trailer frame a CL find ... I beams
wish we would have had it beefed up ... we did the trailer tongue though
well the original piece on roof is prob 12 inches.. I measure one of the pieces of rolled out old guttering and its 16 inches...
prob better... going to call a guttering place and ask them to sell us a pc of their 16 wide coil stock. They made gutters for us before etc....
the whole rv is aluminum coil stock.. Hubby asked if I wanted it insulated on outside I said "naw" cause I wanted it done. As those girls were crowded in their old house...cant really insulate the interior then the sliding rv windows would be recessed....
But the little spoiled brats still fight over who is going well sleeping where. Even there is two windows on the opposite sides..DUH
the people door side front where the tongue is... has obscure glass a used old rv door.....Just wonder how hard to be changed to reg glass

Status
Not open for further replies.