Did my previous owner weld the air intake shut on my Heatilator?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey guys. I appreciate the help here. Bought a house almost a year ago and the seller was a DIYer who shouldn't be. Royally messed up a bunch of repairs and "renovations" in the home.

Anyway, he installed a Heatilator Eco Choice incorrectly by just venting straight into the masonry chimney. I finally saved up the money to get a proper stainless flue installed professionally by a chimney company and they're coming this week. Woo-hoo!

However, I was curious on how a wood stove got combustion air, and I just read in the manual that the air comes in the top front, above the door.

I looked up... And that area is welded shut. I can't tell if that's factory or if the idiot who bought this shut that for whatever reason. He apparently never used it.

Does anyone own a Heatilator Eco Choice here that could compare with me? Or is this normal? I'm afraid I'm going to pay for this chimney only to find out the wood stove insert is not going to work...

Photos attached. I appreciate the help.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20200802-182731_Drive.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200802-182731_Drive.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 297
  • 20200802_182749.jpg
    20200802_182749.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 233
  • 20200802_182744.jpg
    20200802_182744.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 224
That's a factory weld. The top front in this case refers to the airwash, inside the firebox. The actual intake is likely on the side, back or bottom of the stove. I will try to look this up later.

Ah, you're a life saver. Thanks for easing my mind. So the air comes in somewhere in the back, and then enters the firebox around there, got it.

Thank you my friend!

Depending on model, look under ash shelf at bottom front for a long slot across the front. That would be the indoor air intake. If an outside air intake is installed, there is a cover plate screwed on the back of Insert to cover that inlet hole with the cover plate and 2 screws. You then remove a round cut out on the right side to attach the outdoor air intake that looks like a dryer vent outside.

If this is the ECO Wins 18 insert then the room air enters under the ashlip, unless an outside air supply was installed. You will see this when you pull the insert to install the liner. There is a rear plate that is removed for the outside air supply kit. And the front room air inlet gets a blocking plate.

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 8.32.26 AM.png

The liner should be insulated. If this is an exterior wall chimney, adding a block-off plate to seal up the damper area will improve heat output nicely.

Depending on model, look under ash shelf at bottom front for a long slot across the front. That would be the indoor air intake. If an outside air intake is installed, there is a cover plate screwed on the back of Insert to cover that inlet hole with the cover plate and 2 screws. You then remove a round cut out on the right side to attach the outdoor air intake that looks like a dryer vent outside.

Thank you for the info, yes I see the slot - so how does that channel from the bottom to the top of the firebox? I'm assuming there is like a tube or something internally? Does this need cleaned at all?

If this is the ECO Wins 18 insert then the room air enters under the ashlip, unless an outside air supply was installed. You will see this when you pull the insert to install the liner. There is a rear plate that is removed for the outside air supply kit. And the front room air inlet gets a blocking plate.

View attachment 261992

The liner should be insulated. If this is an exterior wall chimney, adding a block-off plate to seal up the damper area will improve heat output nicely.

Thank you for the help! Yes this is the Insert version. Definitely no outside air kit installed as I did pull the trim before to look back there. The front area is open so I guess that's where the air gets in. Thanks!

While I have you both, can I ask another question? The air control lever at the top right is how this stove's burn is controlled. How long after adjusting would I notice an actual change in the fire? Is it near instant, or does it take time? And how long should I wait before making another adjustment?

Thank you for the info, yes I see the slot - so how does that channel from the bottom to the top of the firebox? I'm assuming there is like a tube or something internally? Does this need cleaned at all?

Thank you for the help! Yes this is the Insert version. Definitely no outside air kit installed as I did pull the trim before to look back there. The front area is open so I guess that's where the air gets in. Thanks!

While I have you both, can I ask another question? The air control lever at the top right is how this stove's burn is controlled. How long after adjusting would I notice an actual change in the fire? Is it near instant, or does it take time? And how long should I wait before making another adjustment?
With it the way it is changes will probably take a while to.have an effect. One you hook it up properly it will respond faster.

With it the way it is changes will probably take a while to.have an effect. One you hook it up properly it will respond faster.

Don't worry, I'm currently not using it until it's fixed properly. Will find out this Friday, thanks!

That depends on the wood and draft. For a general guide read the Starting a fire posts in the Stickies section at the top of this forum.

Yes, the intake air is a box around the firebox that preheats the incoming air. This box is the area under firebox and up the right side. When you close the front slot it wouldn’t get any air at all. The round knock out plate on the side simply goes into this same preheat chamber. The object is admitting hot air through the tubes above fire to prevent cooling the burn zone above fire. This ignites smoke particles giving a smoke free fire. As you turn air control down, you’re shutting off air to the bottom and making the incoming air rush into firebox through tubes above fire. On low, the actual burning logs will have little to no flame. Think of the control as putting air to the bottom when open for starting and burning the old way, and to the top when closed to burn smoke instead of wood only. Logs basically glow and smoke so the smoke particles burn at top with rolling flame. That will be from the top down in front of glass keeping it clean. So you light it with air control open to get fire established and preheated at top where combustion will take place. When you close it down, it is basically instant. It goes from flaming logs to rolling flame igniting smoke at top instantly. The more air you give it, the more flame from the logs coming up from the bottom, and the quicker it goes through wood. When reloading, open air again to ignite logs, and when up to temp, set back to desired temp for the secondary ignition at top.

Yes, the intake air is a box around the firebox that preheats the incoming air. This box is the area under firebox and up the right side. When you close the front slot it wouldn’t get any air at all. The round knock out plate on the side simply goes into this same preheat chamber. The object is admitting hot air through the tubes above fire to prevent cooling the burn zone above fire. This ignites smoke particles giving a smoke free fire. As you turn air control down, you’re shutting off air to the bottom and making the incoming air rush into firebox through tubes above fire. On low, the actual burning logs will have little to no flame. Think of the control as putting air to the bottom when open for starting and burning the old way, and to the top when closed to burn smoke instead of wood only. Logs basically glow and smoke so the smoke particles burn at top with rolling flame. That will be from the top down in front of glass keeping it clean. So you light it with air control open to get fire established and preheated at top where combustion will take place. When you close it down, it is basically instant. It goes from flaming logs to rolling flame igniting smoke at top instantly. The more air you give it, the more flame from the logs coming up from the bottom, and the quicker it goes through wood. When reloading, open air again to ignite logs, and when up to temp, set back to desired temp for the secondary ignition at top.

Ah, that all makes perfect sense. I wish the manual explained it in detail like you did! Thank you!