Digatal Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rottiman

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2009
Ontario Canada
Just got myself a handy dandy new digital thermometer so I can do temp checks on different pellets. I am a newbie @ this pellet thing, after having burned wood for many years. I found with a wood stove that it was like being pregnant with regard to heat, either it was hot or it was not. That being said, can anyone tell me what a good range of temp to look for on the discharge air fromm the pellet stove? Thanks

I think you need to check the same location of the stove for consistency. I went out and bought a laser thermal gun. I point and shoot at the same location everytime. I actually point at the place where my pellets fall into the burn pot. I have been keeping track and check 1/2 hour into the burn.

www_godzilla said:
I think you need to check the same location of the stove for consistency. I went out and bought a laser thermal gun. I point and shoot at the same location everytime. I actually point at the place where my pellets fall into the burn pot. I have been keeping track and check 1/2 hour into the burn.

That is exactly what I have and have been doing with it. I have actually be monitoring several location on the stove and vent as well as taking air sample temps about 3 feet in front of the stove using a digital air thermometer. By the way, HOW BOUT THEM PATRIOTS right now!!!!!!!!!!

rottiman said:
Just got myself a handy dandy new digital thermometer so I can do temp checks on different pellets. I am a newbie @ this pellet thing, after having burned wood for many years. I found with a wood stove that it was like being pregnant with regard to heat, either it was hot or it was not. That being said, can anyone tell me what a good range of temp to look for on the discharge air from the pellet stove? Thanks

Now your cooking, I can't tell what are good temps. You need to play around with the stove and with different pellets. But I can say with a good pellet I can easily get 250º from my stove. Stove set on medium heat. I have not had it on anything higher than medium with a good pellet. I have it on High with a real crappy pellet and I can barely get 240º.

I prefer to only measure the air temp from the stove. I don't touch the stove surface with the thermocouple. I measure in the same spot to keep it consistent. I made a clip to hold the thermocouple from and old alligator clip and a piece of wire. But thats my way you can do it anyway you want. Just be consistent.

You should achieve much higher temps if you measure the stove surface temp. But the Air temp should be in the 200º plus range on medium.

Have fun with it.
jay

I was thinking of getting a laser thermometer too, was going to measure from the heating tubes?? Pats kickin butt in the snow!!!!

jack56 said:
I was thinking of getting a laser thermometer too, was going to measure from the heating tubes?? Pats kickin butt in the snow!!!!

KICKIN BUTT is a understatement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

I bought a lazer temp gun but couldn't seem to get consistency from it's measurements so I went to this......

........I purchases for $30 a ‘remote’ turkey/cookng thermometer. It has a probe you can stick in the bird (or in the output of the heat exchanger tube of your stove, out of sight) along with the oven approved stainless braided heat shield cord which runs about 3 ft to the 'sending' unit. I have my sending unit situated down on the cold floor inside the stove at the rear. The ‘receiver’ unit is 10 ft away on a little table next to my lazyboy chair so that I can sit back and glance at it any time to see what the temp is. Oh, it has a built in ‘count up’ timer which I start when the stove starts up so I can watch the to see how long it takes to reach peak temp. It had a alarm beeper in it which told you when you were approaching the set temp. but after a week of listening to it, I snipped the wires to the speaker as it was starting to get on my nerves… :wow: ... bet there are some other good thermometer ideas out there too..... have fun setting up one!!!! ...CC

Status
Not open for further replies.