Q&A DIRECT VENT LAYOUT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

My name is Rob and I'm an intern architect and have a few questions about direct vent gas fireplace layouts. I have a client that wants a direct vent fireplace on a interior wall with a balcony above, she saw it in a magazine somewhere, so this eliminates any chance to vent through the roof, the room with the fireplace is a two story space but the room behind on the main level has a 8'-0" ceiling. (10'-0" flr. to flr.) is it possible to jog the vent at a 90 deg. angle and run for about 8 ft. and then vent at the exterior wall? Are there any special requirements/code issues for running the vent in a soffit?

Answer:

Yes, this is possible. Each direct vent unit has it's own instructions that state how far you can go horizontal for a certain vertical rise. The piping is available in two sizes, smaller units use a 6 5/8 OD, while larger units use a, 8 5/8 OD. Be sure to get a hold of the manual before you buy one !

Link: Heat N Glo

Status
Not open for further replies.