direct vent question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kobudo

Sep 10, 2008
MN
When hooking up a direct vent propane heater is there any way to extend the exterior portion.
I have a situation where I don't want condensation to occur on the exterior wall oposite of where I would have the heater installed.

How far do you want to extend it?
Standard vinyl siding shields extend the cap about 3-4".
I've seen em stuck even farther out & altho they looked FUGLY!
They work fine as long as you don't exceed the horizontal guidelines of the unit...
HTH

See your manual - I think it should be possible, but I'm not a gas tech, so I don't know just how... I'm also moving this to the Gas Chamber room as you may get a better response there....

Gooserider

It is kind of a unique situation.
The building is up on piers. I need to have the heater on the interior South wall. I can't have condensation on the exterior South because that is underneath the building and it would pose problems with the exterior bottom of the building. I would like to route it around the corner to the East wall but I'm not sure if two 90* turns will be permitted. I don't have a heater purchased yet. Just wondering if their is a HVAC guy reading this......

Most products have their manuals available online - I would pick a likely candidate for purchase, download it's manual and see what it says about chimney layout... Given that most of this sort of thing is governed by codes, I would expect that the info in one manual would be pretty typical of all of them.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.