Disappointed with Turman Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PelletPirate

Oct 11, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY
I have to say I was expecting a bit more from Turman pellets based on what I heard. I read a lot of good things about them. To be fair, they definitely are low ash and burn nicely in my stove. The problem is that they do not produce much heat. I usually have to set my stove a notch or two higher to properly heat my house. I ususally did not have to do this with other pellets (Somersets, Okie, Hamer, Green Team). I am glad I have Okie Platinum when things get cold. These seem to be in the category of a shoulder pellet. My pellets were manufactured on 3/15.

I have to say I was expecting a bit more from Turman pellets based on what I heard. I read a lot of good things about them. To be fair, they definitely are low ash and burn nicely in my stove. The problem is that they do not produce much heat. I usually have to set my stove a notch or two higher to properly heat my house. I ususally did not have to do this with other pellets (Somersets, Okie, Hamer, Green Team). I am glad I have Okie Platinum when things get cold. These seem to be in the category of a shoulder pellet. My pellets were manufactured on 3/15.
Are the pellets very small in size?
I never burned Turmans but I have burned some brands that we're the size of kernel corn and had to raise the feed rate up a bit.

I never burned Turmans but I have burned some brands that we're the size of kernel corn and had to raise the feed rate up a bit.
I find just the opposite, If the pellets are small I need to turn down the feed rate. When the pellets are small they seem to feed faster through the auger.

Reactions: cecil_archer
The pellets are actually larger than I am used to burning. I see many over an inch. I have the feed rate at a higher setting 4/5.

I have had similar experience. Heat is good, but not great. Very low ash which I like.

I got 2 tons of Turman and 2 tons of Barefoot. I know the Barefoot burn hot in my stove so I will save those for cold weather.

Size on Turman seems large compared to other pellets.

I find just the opposite, If the pellets are small I need to turn down the feed rate. When the pellets are small they seem to feed faster through the auger.
your right... I typed it wrong.... lower feed rate for smaller pellets.

Reactions: bogieb
I went through four tons of Turmans from October 2015 (Columbus Day) until the end of February 2016. I have nothing but good things to say about these pellets--great heat and minimal ash. Since the start of March I've burned Barefoot. While the Winter in general (and March so far too) has been milder North Central PA, I've still gone through nearly one ton of the Barefoot pellets. These pellets are small fines and some very long pellets. The heat is 'OK' but doesn't seem to be as intense as the Turman's. Also, seems to be more ash with the Barefoots. I'll fire the stove back up tomorrow (monthly cleaning today). The P68 has performed very well--it has pretty much heated the entire home with the oil furnace only kicking on for hot water or for the few times it's been very cold.

I went through four tons of Turmans from October 2015 (Columbus Day) until the end of February 2016. I have nothing but good things to say about these pellets--great heat and minimal ash. Since the start of March I've burned Barefoot. While the Winter in general (and March so far too) has been milder North Central PA, I've still gone through nearly one ton of the Barefoot pellets. These pellets are small fines and some very long pellets. The heat is 'OK' but doesn't seem to be as intense as the Turman's. Also, seems to be more ash with the Barefoots. I'll fire the stove back up tomorrow (monthly cleaning today). The P68 has performed very well--it has pretty much heated the entire home with the oil furnace only kicking on for hot water or for the few times it's been very cold.
had same expirience with Barefoots..
Although I have a free standing Harman which will burn long pellets,
got a lot of crunch crunch sounds as the slide plate decapitated many pellets..
don't think I would want a ton of them.

I bought 2 tons of Turmans last year, and they were both amazing and horrible. I have a local place that lets me buy ahead of time and then just pick up as I need, I normally pick up 20-30 bags and put them in my F-150, how ever many can fit. So I believe this is what happened on my end, the first 1 and 1/2 tons were Oak, and burned very hot. I have the us stove king 8500 furnace and I could wait almost a week without cleaning the fire pot. It was great. Notice on the bags they are clear and have a huge oak leaf on the front. Thought it was strange that they did not say oak pellets, but have an oak leaf on the front.

I really did not care because they were hot and had no ash. Then I got the last 1/2 ton in Jan of 16 and they were so bad that I would have to clean my fire pot every day and a few times twice a day. They were not the same pellets, they smelled different were smaller in pellet size. and the amount of fines was unreal. some bags had a few pounds in the bottom, and it was not because they got wet. These were so bad that I could only add about half a bad for every other 3 bags of Lignetics. It took the rest of the season to get ride of those last 25 bags. They were maple, which is a hardwood but burned very bad. Since they are a hardwood floor company I imagine they ran a few tons of Maple, but did not mix them with the oak. Oops, must have been a new guy on the floor. But I will never buy Turman pellets again. I work very hard to get ride of the trash maple pellets. Even though the oak ones were awesome!, I don't have money or time to waste when they switch over. I have a pellet smoker also, and I really dislike the maple pellets that I have that are 100% maple, and it took me a while, to figure out what happened and what they were, but it was the smell of the smoke once it was burned that gave it away.

Just a note to Turman, from one business man to another. Just package your pellets with 100% oak, and keep your good name. and make the other maples and other woods that you have from flooring and make bedding for horses out of them. It would be a better business model then trying to trick your customers into thinking its all the same, until you change it up with maple of something else that is not going to burn as hot and has a ton of ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.