DIY garage door screens parts list please tell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
. is the link Im asking about
I. PRinted out the pic of youtube' "Legacy Craftsman" removeableWOOD GARAGE DOOR SCREENs. Can anyone tell me what size barrel spring loaded ones to buy. The LC has a link but they are steel So can someone look at the video to tell me what size he used I can not find a parts list that is specific. I can see the wood and screen material I... assume he used 6 per door I tried even pausing the video and cant rightly tell I might spring for brass or SS.. Wish I would have gotten materiala sooner b before the horrendous price increase. I had a woodworker a while back that would do projects for me. But he backed out "said he was too busy." Hum I wanna gather everything before I contact any other woodworkers to to install and make the frame...... I can do the painting and screening etc
Please guys tell me what size I can search engine and get. Cant find any spring loaded ones local or thru BB websites Thanks all Ps I dont belong to Fake book to ask the questions Thanks all. Blessings to all

The framing in the first three minutes was cleverly done. He is using a Kreg pocket hole jig and "pocket screws" available at many home stores, local to me both team blue and team orange have similar systems.

At six minutes I see he has already had to add another brace to his door frames, and he doesn't have screens installed yet to start catching a little air. These are going to sag. Might be fine since they don't weigh hardly anything. At 6:20 to 6:35 you can see how floppy the frames are while he is sanding. The system will probably work fine, but if his boards start warping they will pull the thing out of flat and let bugs in.

I got many many google hits on the term "spring loaded barrel bolt latch", Walmart has some, Amazon, the usual suspects. I didn't bother looking for brass or stainless, I would just squirt them with WD-40 a couple times per year. Size I would call at or near one quarter inch diameter bolt.

If you are just going to install that thing and close the garage door anytime you have a bit of wind it will probably last a little while. As youtubed that is not well enough built to be the door you and your family use to come and go from the house day in and day out.

Neat idea though, thanks for posting.

I didn't watch the video, didn't even click on it. But why barrel springs, at all?

Seems to me the old-skool extension spring on a light screen door always worked well enough for most of my life, is usually heavy enough to pull a little frame warpage flat against the jamb stop, and has that satisfying "flwham!" when you walk out the door each morning. Why re-invent the wheel?

I didn't watch the video, didn't even click on it. But why barrel springs, at all?

Seems to me the old-skool extension spring on a light screen door always worked well enough for most of my life, is usually heavy enough to pull a little frame warpage flat against the jamb stop, and has that satisfying "flwham!" when you walk out the door each morning. Why re-invent the wheel?
well Hubby...he finished the one set but he replaced the right spring loaded barrel bolts(at my suggestion) with nice 4 inch ss door hinges. I had bought years ago/ work and look great so far Look really good yall. Great job...The set has been up for 2 nites so far when Ive been out late in garage working on trying to finish my big project. With me right sitting down inside near the door itself with my back to the door
I personally have not tried to open them yet but he has sev times to show how well they work. Got a roll of 100 ft charcoal alum screen (that a customer ordered but didnt pick up) from the local building supply company for the pre inflated ptices. Hubby said the ss screening would have been too heavy. thought we had screen left from yrs ago when I bought a roll for many other wood shed projects etc. Now the pric e has almost doubled in price for 4ft wide 1oo ft rolls of alum screening already had the strap hinges too
I just wish I bought the 1 bys lumber Two yrs ago when I first printed out the screen shot of the door
He is not sure if he qants to make a set for the other garafe door. He will remove and store for winter later
Thanks all for being there