DIY Hearth Pad with floor vent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

primpines

Oct 6, 2021
WA
I am installing vinyl plank flooring to replace the carpet, but first I need to replace a broken DIY hearth pad. I attempted to just purchase a hearth pad and have it installed, but I was turned away as they are super busy this time of year and have more important priorities.

I am feeling overwhelmed. And truth be told, I don't even use the wood stove anymore; following a divorce, it was too much upkeep and caused too much anxiety for me; so I installed a ductless heat unit. So the stove is just used on rare occasions, but I like having it in case of emergency.

Is this a project that I can handle? I have never tiled before, but I am familiar with power tools and can do some framing. I do not have a tile saw. As you can see, the ex didn't exactly do a real bang up job either, so I am hoping I can take on this project.

What is the purpose of the venting through the floor? Fresh air I am assuming. Must this be kept? That seems the most daunting task of the project - trying to create that opening in the tile.

Any other advice, words of wisdom or motivation for me?

Thanks! Beth.

1633578023714.png
1633578047213.png

I am installing vinyl plank flooring to replace the carpet, but first I need to replace a broken DIY hearth pad. I attempted to just purchase a hearth pad and have it installed, but I was turned away as they are super busy this time of year and have more important priorities.

I am feeling overwhelmed. And truth be told, I don't even use the wood stove anymore; following a divorce, it was too much upkeep and caused too much anxiety for me; so I installed a ductless heat unit. So the stove is just used on rare occasions, but I like having it in case of emergency.

Is this a project that I can handle? I have never tiled before, but I am familiar with power tools and can do some framing. I do not have a tile saw. As you can see, the ex didn't exactly do a real bang up job either, so I am hoping I can take on this project.

What is the purpose of the venting through the floor? Fresh air I am assuming. Must this be kept? That seems the most daunting task of the project - trying to create that opening in the tile.

Any other advice, words of wisdom or motivation for me?

Thanks! Beth.

View attachment 282909View attachment 282910
What are the hearth requirements of your stove? If it's ember protection only it is pretty straightforward. And tiling that little bit won't be difficult at all.

Reactions: primpines
Make sure the side clearance to combustible distances are met. Youtube has great videos on how to tile. Don't be intimidated by something you can do!

Make sure the side clearance to combustible distances are met. Youtube has great videos on how to tile. Don't be intimidated by something you can do!
Look at the tag on the back, clearances should be listed.

A cheap tile saw will be handy. If it doesn’t need R value (I don’t think it will but double check) a piece of metal or glass would work too) And food for thought, used stoves prices are probably as high as they have ever been so if it’s more hassles to move to meet clearances and redo the hearth I bet you could sell it and buy a nice portable generator.

Looks like it might be a Blaze King Princess, PE1006. Is that correct? Do you have the manual for operating instructions?

Outside air is recommended and already there, but unless the house is very tight, it is not a necessity.
What is the distance from the right side of the stove to the wall?

Looks like it might be a Blaze King Princess, PE1006. Is that correct? Do you have the manual for operating instructions?

Outside air is recommended and already there, but unless the house is very tight, it is not a necessity.
What is the distance from the right side of the stove to the wall?
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the stove is a Princess PE 1006, I believe I have the manual and paperwork and I just now starting printing out the manual online just in case.

There is not a lot of clearance on either side, in fact, after it was installed, it was realized an error was made, so we had to purchase the side panels for the stove which allowed for a closer placement to the wall.

The house is about 14 years old, so I’ve been told to keep the floor air intake as it’s a newer house. It will just complicate my project a little bit. :(

Selling the stove has crossed my mind, but seems like it might add a touch of value to the house if I keep it. Besides, the way the world is going…. I kinda hate to give it up, it’s good for emergency use if needed….

What is the current distance from the right side to the wall?

I find myself wondering was the hearth built so that the stove sits that way? It looks like this wants to be set in the corner at 45º to the room, but maybe something didn't allow this.

Yes, an outside air connection is required for the stove in WA state in new construction.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the stove is a Princess PE 1006, I believe I have the manual and paperwork and I just now starting printing out the manual online just in case.

There is not a lot of clearance on either side, in fact, after it was installed, it was realized an error was made, so we had to purchase the side panels for the stove which allowed for a closer placement to the wall.

The house is about 14 years old, so I’ve been told to keep the floor air intake as it’s a newer house. It will just complicate my project a little bit. :(

Selling the stove has crossed my mind, but seems like it might add a touch of value to the house if I keep it. Besides, the way the world is going…. I kinda hate to give it up, it’s good for emergency use if needed….
You can totally do this. In regards to the cut, remember it is under a stove. You will never look at this again and in a week you will forget about it. Your guests will never notice. My father has a saying as a master carpenter, which i always try to remember as I am a perfectionist, read this with a Scottish accent ;) ,"Low down, no seen, high up, no noticed". You will do a fine job.