DIY ultrasonic parts cleaner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
I've always thought that when (or if) I grew up, I'd really like an ultrasonic parts cleaner-- and always hoped I'd bumble into one being discarded by a lab, or at a non-extortive price in Fleabay, etc.-- but such luck has not come my way.

From time to time, I think: why couldn't one take a piezoelectric tweeter like this,

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8594#at

then cut an appropriate hole in the side of a discarded stainless steam-tray from a cafeteria-type application, drive the tweeter with an appropriate signal at appropriate potencies (little class D amps are getting cheaper by the month) http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=UAM2

fill the tray with cleaning solution, & voom-

But as far as I have been able to find, no one has done so.

Is there a hole in my idea, or is this a DIY dream waiting to happen in cellars and garages?

Great idea! I've thought about this one too after seeing the jeweler clean my wife's wedding ring. I had a very similar plan in mind and can't imagine why it wouldn't work. Seems you could add some detergent to the solution to help things along. My main concern would be how much vibration power the tweeter could produce and whether it would be enough. I'd like to know how it works if you build it.

Good luck.

wahoowad said:
what do you want to clean?

mechanical and electrical parts/ assemblies.

Three possible problems...

1. Does it give enough power?

2. Is it the right frequency range? - Ultrasonic is generally considered above 30Khz (upper limit for human hearing) the linked speaker only does 27Khz - I suspect you would rapidly tire of a cleaner that screamed at you, not to mention the potential hearing damage if you can still catch that range...

3. How resistant would the unit be to your cleaning solutions?

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.