Do draft fans (or fans in general) need replacing even if they are still blowing air?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EarthStove

Jan 15, 2009
Northern MD
I guess what I really mean to say is do they lose effectiveness over a period of time? Even though they may not fail completely maybe they start to reduce their CFM output?

they may slow down a bit, but usually if output has been reduced the fan is on its way out...
mp3550 uses a small fan (only 30cfm i believe...)

if it struggles, we have a 60cfm aftermarket fan that can work,
we also stock the factory original draft fan from lennox, and aftermarket fan

is the air flapper/ draft fan cover flap open all the way??

Wood Heat Stoves said:
they may slow down a bit, but usually if output has been reduced the fan is on its way out...
mp3550 uses a small fan (only 30cfm i believe...)

if it struggles, we have a 60cfm aftermarket fan that can work,
we also stock the factory original draft fan from lennox, and aftermarket fan

is the air flapper/ draft fan cover flap open all the way??

Thanks for the replies. I opened up the draft fan flapper as far as I could last time I cleaned the unit inside where the guts are (1 ton ago).

It's still blowing air pretty good but I am back to the problem of the pellet ash backing up on the right hand side (mostly) of the fire pot. I took pictures this morning before cleaning the fire pot (again). I did a complete cleaning after the last ton (which burned very good up until near the end of it and I started getting backups with spongy ash and lazy flame etc).

The fire pot is on it's way out though. It's bent from the heat and cracked in several places. I heated it up today and banged it back some near where the pellets are deposited into the fire pot but it cracked in other areas again. Looks like maybe this is stainless so I can't weld it because I don't have any stainless mig wire. Do you think the distorted burn pot could be causing this spongy ash buildup on the ends of the fire pot?

Do you carry the fire pot and that flame spreader for a decent price. :)

Oh and I am running in 50k mode. I made my own spacer out of aluminum to reduce the output but all it did was reduce the heat output and not the ash. LOL. I will use it during the fringe months like Sept and March/April I think.

http://woodheatstoves.com/earth-stove-burn-pot-fire-pot-p-1702.html

flame spreader is extra, and listed as an option on the above page.

only 3 left in stock, they may not make more....

i'll offer a 10% discount on this, and any other item we can afford to discount to hearth.com members...
to get the discount, call me directly, ask for dave. toll free # listed on web site...

cracked seams etc, can certainly cause wierd performance issues. but as for your ash build up, i'd start with the fuel being burned...

i always just use silicone in the cup, to reduce metering. it scraps out of the aluminum easily if you need to remove it in the future.
i can get the spacer from lennox, but it is stupid expensive for what it is.

EarthStove said:
I guess what I really mean to say is do they lose effectiveness over a period of time? Even though they may not fail completely maybe they start to reduce their CFM output?

If I was given a situation where I was sure the stove was absolutely clean and all else was OK but the normal flame/burn was not what it should be I`d not hesitate to replace the combustion fan. I`d try to match it up with an off the shelf motor since they are probably 1/3 or maybe even less than the cost of a factory replacement one. It`s hard to believe the factory requires one specially designed unless it`s something other than a 120v system.
The $50-$60 cost to find out is going to be a lot less than a professional service call and the price of a new one installed by him.

Thanks everyone. Dave, I will be in touch for the fire pot. I gotta get one one way or another since it's cracking pretty bad. Can you tell me if that steel is standard mild steel or is it stainless?

As for the blower fan, I may also try a new one if I can find something off the shelf for cheaper. Ours has 13 seasons under it's belt so maybe it's starting to give it up a bit.

I am wondering about the fuel myself. We get the best results with Lignetics. WE bought two tons in Sept of last year and after the cleaning between the tons the stove performed great. I mean I really cleaned the stove out with my air compressor and got into spots above the heat exchangers that I never got cleaned before...Had lots of creosote etc up there. Then we purchased a third ton about 2 1/2 weeks ago (same lignetics with the same color bag/lettering etc) and the stove has not performed well at all even after I did another complete cleaning. I noticed that this ton of fuel has a TON of fines in it. dust is everywhere...The other two tons were not like this at all.

EarthStove said:
Thanks everyone. Dave, I will be in touch for the fire pot. I gotta get one one way or another since it's cracking pretty bad. Can you tell me if that steel is standard mild steel or is it stainless?

As for the blower fan, I may also try a new one if I can find something off the shelf for cheaper. Ours has 13 seasons under it's belt so maybe it's starting to give it up a bit.

stainless if i recall, but its been a long week...

Well this is a bummer. We ran about a bag and a quarter through yesterday and last night since I cleaned the fire pot up really good. Was fine until about 1/2 way through the first bag and then the right hand side of the fire pot slowly started to build up with ash and today we have smoldering pellets building up in that area again. This is running medium feed with high draft fan setting since I cleaned it. :(

Another update. I pulled the side panel off and the draft fan door thing was pushed up a bit but I am not sure if it was like that prior to me pulling the side off. The pulled it back and out of the way again. I want to just pull it off but it's riveted in place. Anyway, I hit the draft fan with air and it was really dirty again and the motor sped up a bit more (slowed down when I hit it with the air). Anyway, within about 20 minutes the smoldering pellets began to burn a bright yellow/orange and began to break down. So, I guess it's either the blower is weak (as I was thinking when I started this thread) or the stupid draft fan damper door thing has a tendency to push back up and reduce the amount of air getting in.

What do you guys think?

I have noticed that I have the same problem as you every once in awhile. I notice that pellets (mainly unburned or smoldering) pile up on the right side of the burn pot and I only have a flame on the left side. This is the first time this has ever happened to me (hope reading your post did jinx me....haha).
Just like you I burn Ligs, have my Feed rate on Med. and my Fan speed on High. When i noticed the pellets piling up, I just turned my Feed Rate to the Fan only and just let it run. After about 5-10 min, all the pellets were burnt up. So, Im in the same boat with you. I dont know what this is all about, but its mildly concerning. The only thing that you have done differenty then me is break the entire stove down for cleaning. So i dont think you put anything back wrong, seeing that I am encountering the same problem without a heavy-duty cleaning yet.
Im thinking it might be the fan. I dont know how old my model is (any way to find that out....anyone???) but my burn pot is in good shape. So Im not sure if thats the issue. But if I can upgrade to a more powerful motor then I think that might be a good option for next years burning.
One more thing......I bought a few bags of my lovely Hammer Hott Ones, to burn durning that awful snow storm. And thats the first time I noticed the pellets piling up on the right side. Those pellets are alot smaller then the Ligs, so I think that more pellets per aguer rotation were getting in the burn pot and not burning completly. Interesting. Never had that problem when burning the Hammers before. The more I think about it, the more and more this is sounding like a air movement issue.........Maybe our fans are just wearing out like you said. Maybe we can get a discount when ordering 2 fans...............

Bumping this back to the front.

I am going to give a new, stronger fan a try. Dave, what do you have that will work with the MP35/50?

bocephus said:
I have noticed that I have the same problem as you every once in awhile. I notice that pellets (mainly unburned or smoldering) pile up on the right side of the burn pot and I only have a flame on the left side. This is the first time this has ever happened to me (hope reading your post did jinx me....haha).
Just like you I burn Ligs, have my Feed rate on Med. and my Fan speed on High. When i noticed the pellets piling up, I just turned my Feed Rate to the Fan only and just let it run. After about 5-10 min, all the pellets were burnt up. So, Im in the same boat with you. I dont know what this is all about, but its mildly concerning. The only thing that you have done differenty then me is break the entire stove down for cleaning. So i dont think you put anything back wrong, seeing that I am encountering the same problem without a heavy-duty cleaning yet.
Im thinking it might be the fan. I dont know how old my model is (any way to find that out....anyone???) but my burn pot is in good shape. So Im not sure if thats the issue. But if I can upgrade to a more powerful motor then I think that might be a good option for next years burning.
One more thing......I bought a few bags of my lovely Hammer Hott Ones, to burn durning that awful snow storm. And thats the first time I noticed the pellets piling up on the right side. Those pellets are alot smaller then the Ligs, so I think that more pellets per aguer rotation were getting in the burn pot and not burning completly. Interesting. Never had that problem when burning the Hammers before. The more I think about it, the more and more this is sounding like a air movement issue.........Maybe our fans are just wearing out like you said. Maybe we can get a discount when ordering 2 fans...............

Sorry I missed this earlier this year. I am going to try a new draft fan I guess since you had the same issues witht he hammer's hot ones and that was what I was going to try this year. LOL :(

This sure is a weird problem. Our stove worked perfectly for years and years and I didn't even clean it!!! Then the problem started and even a complete cleaning has not fixed the issue nor did reducing the pellet output I can only think that the fan is the issue.

Hi I have taken off the top plate each year and use a wire to knock down all of the carbon buildup and then vacuum it up. I have the whole stove removed from the wall right now. I have the combustion blower off the stove but the wiring is holding it in place...Trying to figure out how to remove it without cutting wires (if possible at all).

I was planning on taking this thing outside but I am not sure I can get it much cleaner than I have in the past with it in place.

Well,
After tearing everything down around back and a complete clean out along with new pipe venting up 5 or so feet in vertical and a new end cap and .... Burning Hamers Hot ones now...

It appears the problem is gone. Have not had a chance to burn on high yet, just not cold enough but so far on med and low no crazy sticky ash build up and lazy flames. About 4 bags through so far this fall.

I sure hope it runs just as well on high. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.