Do I need a damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler

Nov 17, 2013
Southwest, Ohio
Have a PE True North in my man cave. I can fill it at 10:30 at night turn air supply almost all the way down (Probably 15% open) and by 7.30 in the morning still have enough coals to get another fire going and front glass is still pretty warm. The stove pipe temp is around 100-125 in the morning. The magnetic thermometer is placed 4 inches above stove top. I'm burning mostly ash that is 18-23% moisture.

When I have a good fire going and go to open the door I open the air control all the way open, crack the door for a moment and then continue to open the door. after about 5-10 seconds the flames shoot back towards the rear of the stove very violently and make a whirling noise. My total stove pipe is 14 ft. Normal or should I consider a damper? Thanks in advance.!

Sounds good, from what you describe, adding a damper does not seem necessary or helpful in any way.

In general, unless something was done wrong when loading the stove initially, there really shouldn't be a reason to open the door when there are active flames in there. In all, what you describe when the door is open is normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyler
That sounds exactly like it should be working. I agree that there should be very rare occasions that you would be opening the stove door with a "good" fire going. These stoves are designed to work fine without a damper. A damper will only hinder things and create a situation that will end up making a mess.

Keep on burning!

Reactions: Tyler
Status
Not open for further replies.