Do i need NG or LP?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin Hayes

Dec 30, 2015
USA
I have recently bought a gas log set from someone and now that i'm ready to get started and install it and have gas run to it. It dawned on me that i need to know if this log set is for NG or LP? well there isn't a single thing on this entire log set, burners or anything that tells me whether or not this is for NG or LP. So how do i tell if i need NG or LP for this?

Can you post a pic? The gas valve should have a model number on it. That may hold a clue
as to what the proper fuel is. The other way to tell is via the medium that diffuses the gas in
the burner pan. LP has vermiculite as a diffuser. Natural gas has sand grains.

Can you post a pic? The gas valve should have a model number on it. That may hold a clue
as to what the proper fuel is. The other way to tell is via the medium that diffuses the gas in
the burner pan. LP has vermiculite as a diffuser. Natural gas has sand grains.

Is this what you need?

Attachments

• IMG_0702.JPG
    IMG_0702.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 124
I'm gonna say you have a LP unit, based on the 1/2 psi gas pressure note.
10 inches of water column (WC) = .36 PSI.
I would still like to know what medium came with it, vermiculite or sand?
You can check with the seller too. If there is natural gas in the area
where he lives, that would tell you. People don't pay extra for LP if NG is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.