do pellets go bad?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
I have some left over pellets from last year and the date on it say 10/06. I got 6 tons yesterday and the date is 6/08. not even thinking, I put the new pellets on top of the old ones. So does any one know if pellets go bad?

Being a relative newcomer to pellets, I'll say what I think about this. If your pellets are in good, unopened bags, and in a relatively dry place, they shouldn't go bad. Obviously, moisture and excessive handling is going to degrade pellets.

IMO, if your bottom bags are in good shape, and aren't laying directly on the ground (air space under them), you should be good to go when you finally get to them.

My 2 cents.

As long as you kept them dry and the density is kept you will be good. Density breaks down when pellets are stored outside or they get damp. Please remember to ask if your pellets were stored inside or out and for how long they were left outside when you buy.

Eric

Attachments

• small pic of pellets.jpg
    small pic of pellets.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 535
Status
Not open for further replies.