Do wood pellets cause corrosion in regular woodstove pipe? Or just corn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mar13

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2018
California redwood coast
When doing some quick research for an internet-less neighbor who is thinking of switching from wood to pellets, I stumbled upon the following line on the internet: "Secondly, can you use regular stove pipe for pellet? Never use "regular" single wall or double wall stove pipe for pellet stoves or inserts. Burning pellets causes a more corrosive environment and "regular" stove pipe will not last. " ( Can you use a wood stove chimney for a pellet stove? (askinglot.com) )

That worried me some as I've been trying to burn off a bag of pellets a bit at a time in my woodstove (a cupful when starting a fire or a sprinkle of some on coals during a re-light).

I can't find anything else on the internet about that other than corn can be corrosive. I was assuming that wood pellets are just mini sawdust logs.

That is not really a woodstove site. I'd like the source for the claim of the pellet smoke being more corrosive. It's not uncommon for a pellet stove to be connected to a stainless liner. I would not worry about your usage.

That is not really a woodstove site. I'd like the source for the claim of the pellet smoke being more corrosive. It's not uncommon for a pellet stove to be connected to a stainless liner. I would not worry about your usage.
Thanks. Another case of don't always believe what you read on the internet. I was suspect if its validity.

Thanks. Another case of don't always believe what you read on the internet. I was suspect if its validity.
You shouldn't use regular stove pipe for pellet stoves but only because the vent is pressurized unlike a woodstove where it is under vacuum. Regular stove pipe will leak smoke pellet vent seals better. Pellet exhaust is not more corrosive.

Reactions: mar13