Do Wood Pellets go 'bad'?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fish03

Jan 4, 2017
Pleasant Plain
My local feed store told me he had an excess from last year and would take $20 off a ton of AWF Premium Hardwoods. Is this a good deal? Do they go bad? I mean I know what happens when they get moisture in them and expand but will last years pellets still burn as efficiently? I feel like we don't have a great selection in my area, it's either Somersets, TSC brand or AWF.
I should note the feed store is not climate controlled but they are stored on a pallet off the concrete floor.
Thanks in advance!

I found some that were 10 plus years and burned without issue. I have in the basement right now some that are going to be three years.
Most would love to try Somersets

Never had a problem with old stock
You can tell by picking up a bag if the
have been in moisture . They swell and
fall apart . Making a hard clump in the bag.
if they are loose in the bag grab them it is a good deal

Obviously, you know moisture kills them so watch for that, then grab them and grab more than you need!
Try to get a better deal so he can open up space for this year's supply.

I agree with the other respondents, if the pellets didn't get wet they should be fine assuming the brand is decent to begin with..

How do these look? Auger will not feed them!

Attachments

• IMG_1272.JPG
    IMG_1272.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_1274.JPG
    IMG_1274.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 519
Pellets are fine Don, its the rusted stuck auger that's a problem :)

Reactions: Don2222
Actually after I chipped them out with a screwdriver the rusty auger turned by itself!
Those old permenantly lubricated High Temp Nylon Upper and lower auger bearings are the best feature of the old Pelpro Pellet Stoves. Too bad the new Pelpro stoves do not have them!!!