do y'all think one brand is better than another in whole

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
house water filters?
ordered a Tier 1 brand for the next change over....Locally was buying the Culligan brand the 10 inch by 5 " sized. sediment filter 50 micron pleated poly.. the second sump a carbon filter>>>>25 micron
is the granular carbon just as good as a carbon block? Hubby changes them every 3 months...
Both brand are China made

Thinking about ordering Coconut /carbon ones
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Whole-Hous...41376&meid=753f6a0de19343319674c828de51edc9%2

for the other home..Since that house is municipal water The Omni unit is just still in the box there. since we are STILL in this mistake purgatory house
.suposedly those filters help with the dreaded Chloramine
thanks y'all

Here are a couple of decent sources for information on filters that are "rated" to do specific things.

https://www.wqa.org/

http://www.nsf.org/consumer-resources/water-quality/water-filters-testing-treatment

I live in an area that is in the process of receiving whole-house filters due to contaminated groundwater. From what I've learned Culligan appears to be one of the "premier" providers of whole house filters using activated carbon. They use multiple 20" carbon filters in their systems along with other hardware I don't claim to understand. They also use UV on the backend to protect the water from bacterial growth that can accumulate in carbon filters. $$$'s.

Point-of-use filters generally carry much higher ratings than whole-house at the moment. I have a very affordable RO filter from amazon on my sink. RO (with a granular activated carbon pre-filter) get's a whole lotta the bad stuff out. Best bang for your buck for safe drinking water...

Moral of my story? I'd stick with Culligan. They have some great filters, allegedly.

Last edited:
I recently installed the (larger) 3M cartridge filter under the kitchen faucet. We're on well water and a recent lab report showed that we don't have any issues, other than low PH level. We swapped out the 25 year old water treatment canisters and installed a new setup to address the acidity.

Since we don't have other issues, and most of the water we drink comes from the kitchen faucet, I went with the point of use filter...mostly for my peace of mind. I didn't see any need to filter any of the other water we use...

I'll have the water retested annually, and if anything changes, we'll address accordingly.

well I bought the coconut filters and Hubby has yet to install the whole house filter.unit. Its sitting downstairs on a shelf here for sev years
we are finally at the other house.... and so much to get rid of so much downsizing. emptying out the purgatory house and putting it up for sale.
in the meantime I using the ss Berkey and buying distilled water.
cause this dang "city water has so much chlorine, chlorine and fluoride in it. I was going to buy a countertop RO system but lot of the reviews stated that the filters get less effective with every use ,compared to the ones like under the sink units.....
so I guess we need to get back out the old RO Sear...s system or buy a complete new one and reinstall since he put in a new Kitchen faucet single handle one holed Moen unit. I do have an older Sears water plug in electric distiller I haven't used in years... cause I drink a gallon of distilled water every other da or so... att 99 gallon gets expensive plus hate drinking from plastic containers. Glass is my favorite rather drinking or
cooking.uses..
thanks y'all

well I bought the coconut filters and Hubby has yet to install the whole house filter.unit. Its sitting downstairs on a shelf here for sev years
we are finally at the other house.... and so much to get rid of so much downsizing. emptying out the purgatory house and putting it up for sale.
in the meantime I using the ss Berkey and buying distilled water.
cause this dang "city water has so much chlorine, chlorine and fluoride in it. I was going to buy a countertop RO system but lot of the reviews stated that the filters get less effective with every use ,compared to the ones like under the sink units.....
so I guess we need to get back out the old RO Sear...s system or buy a complete new one and reinstall since he put in a new Kitchen faucet single handle one holed Moen unit. I do have an older Sears water plug in electric distiller I haven't used in years... cause I drink a gallon of distilled water every other da or so... att 99 gallon gets expensive plus hate drinking from plastic containers. Glass is my favorite rather drinking or
cooking.uses..
thanks y'all
You know drinking distilled water is bad for you? Well, I suppose not since you are doing it. I think you should do some more research on the health effects. We don't let our animal drink the dehumidifier water because drinking distilled water is so unhealthy.

Just go get a Brita or two and try to relax. All your worrying is extremely unhealthy as well. Please don't take this as condescending, I believe in straight talk among friends. No point in preventing cancer if you cause yourself a heart attack and ulcer in the process.

Reactions: festerw
Yeah...don't drink distilled. The only places we use distilled is in the humidifier (no deposits is nice) and watering outside. Our dehumidifier makes about a gallon a day in the summer.

I'm not sure distilled water is bad for you, per se. I think it's just missing all of the very important minerals contained in non-distilled water? I am not an expert, however.

I've been learning a lot about water lately. A lot. I'm no longer convinced many "whole house" solutions exist to really clean water. Point of use RO and point of use activated carbon units are about the only thing out there rated to truly remove some of the nasty stuff that can be found water supplies. Whole house systems rated by the NSF to remove the really nasty stuff don't exist, yet.

This system pictured below will take 72parts per trillion of many PFCs down to 1ppt in the middle of the four tanks. That's 1,000lbs of activated carbon in those tanks. Not far from me a similar system with 8 tanks, 2000lbs of GAC, takes 13,000ppt down to 4ppt between the tanks. Many argue that's still not good enough.

Good luck in your water filter pursuits. You might be ahead of the game to get a water cooler with bottled water service...

27387407839_a7190f5fdb_c.jpg

I'm not sure distilled water is bad for you, per se. I think it's just missing all of the very important minerals contained in non-distilled water? I am not an expert, however.

I've been learning a lot about water lately. A lot. I'm no longer convinced many "whole house" solutions exist to really clean water. Point of use RO and point of use activated carbon units are about the only thing out there rated to truly remove some of the nasty stuff that can be found water supplies. Whole house systems rated by the NSF to remove the really nasty stuff don't exist, yet.

This system pictured below will take 72parts per trillion of many PFCs down to 1ppt in the middle of the four tanks. That's 1,000lbs of activated carbon in those tanks. Not far from me a similar system with 8 tanks, 2000lbs of GAC, takes 13,000ppt down to 4ppt between the tanks. Many argue that's still not good enough.

Good luck in your water filter pursuits. You might be ahead of the game to get a water cooler with bottled water service...

View attachment 222707
I don't use ice or cold water.....its bad for digestion and sometimes like ice cream will give a head chill... No thank you for the bottled water either Got out my old Sears wtr distiller today it took about 5- 6hr to make a bottle full At least I don't have to drive a long way to buy it.
A bottle of trace minerals is not expensive.
according to Pharmist Ben Fuchs distilled water being bad is a myth.
just got to keep reminding Hubby to put in the w house unit.
so much to do here. otherwise he know Ill hire a plumber. But I know Hubby would do a better job
Thanks all
u

c

Last edited:

View attachment 222707
I saw such a similar setup on youtube guy processing rainwater....