Do you guys lube the bearings for the exhaust and combustion motors?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Joe.G

Jan 21, 2018
NY
Hi, My Exhaust blower motor has gotten nosier this season, About every two weeks I have to spray a little lube near the bearing area, I looked it over while I was cleaning the stove and had the Motor out but they don't look easily replaceable or serviceable. Stove is a Volgerzang 5790 and has been in service full time since 2014. Thanks

I've never had any noise issues with the exhaust blower motor.

However the room blower motor started getting noisy well over a year ago. I started by pushing grease past the seals, which would work for a little while. Later on I cut a tiny hole in the bearing sideplate, and used an animal syringe to inject motor oil into it. Both bearings of course. That kept it quiet for nearly a whole season. The motor comes apart enough to do this. But like you say the bearings aren't easily replaced unless I had a small puller. I might do that eventually, but I did buy a spare motor so I have something to pop in in case it ever fails.

I have a spare motor as well for both, But I figured id try and make these last as long as I can. Bearings and shafts feel tight and spin freely so I don't believe they will seize anytime soon. I Have found that a teflon base lube keeps teh bearings quiet for a month or more.

Joe can you post a picture of your motor? Just so we know weather its an open or closed frame motor.

that is an open frame motor. the only problem with changing bearings is you will have a difficult time getting the pressed on cooling fan blade off the shaft to take it all apart. they tend to get bent up getting them off. ask me how i know. lol but if you can get it apart successfully you can get new bearings or try using a sheet rock knife and pop the seals out and repack with high temp grease
FCA8FE0A-A15B-410E-BD94-8B8B1CC2A24B.jpeg

Yeah I tried to get the fan off and it was not coming, Otherwise I would have repacked them wasn't sure if there was a trick.